• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mysql upgrade issue, upgrade instuctions dont work. Error message.

jayvin

Basic Pleskian
Hi all,

Running 9.2.3 plesk for windows and Im trying to update to the latest stable version of mysql (5.1.40).

I've followed the parallels instructions below to the letter, to try and update both instances (A & B) of mysql :

http://kb.odin.com/en/1077

but after I have installed the new files but when I go to restart the Plesk SQL Server service (using the plesk services monitor) I get an error kicked back:

The system cannot find the file specified. (Error code 2) at StartService 'MySQL'

So I have to resort to reverting back to the original mysql version installation.

Can anyone help explain the problem and possibly give working instructions on how to upgrade the mysql within plesk.

Someone else also got the same error but hasnt been responded to: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=61821&highlight=startservice

Jay

Check that path to executable file specified for MySQL is correct for corresponding service.
Also check that following registry key exists HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PLESK\PSA Config\Config\Packages\psa.core\psa\services\MySQL
It can be other path but try to find it. Not sure that it will help but you can try to backup and delete this key if you find it. Do not forget return it back if it not help.

hi, thanks for the response.

how can I find if the executable path is correct I dont know what it should be?

Is it possible for you to update the upgrade instructions I've followed them exactly and they dont work. Can you please test I think they are out of date and not working for newer builds.

Also, will plesk reflect the latest client build number and mysql version number (within the panel) if the upgrade works?or will it still show the old version numbers (5.0.45 & 5.0.22)

Just check that path to executable file in the MySQL service properties really exists in Explorer.
There are can be a lot of specific conditions on your installation therefore KB article can't consider all specifics, it only common way. Deep log investigation, error messages and so on can be required for fixing it. It can be complex problem. As you understand, upgrade of a separate part of Plesk system is a non-standard procedure which is not described in the documentation. And you should be ready to that problems can arise there. We can give only a general plan without details and it is your risk.
I,m not sure about version reflection. I never did this MySQL upgrade and I would be very grateful if you inform me with results.

thanks for the response.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PLESK\PSA Config\Config\Packages\psa.core\psa\services\MySQL

i cannot find the above folder or file anywhere on our windows server. the only mysql folders I can see related to plesk are at C:\Parallels\Plesk\MySQL and C:\Parallels\Plesk\Databases\MySQL (which I have tried to update without success).

I have replaced instance 'A' (http://kb.odin.com/en/1077) with new mysql (5.1.40) files (apart from the data folder) but not sure if its working;

as when in plesk panel, home->settings it still reports SQL Server as 'MySQL 5.0.45' (the old version I thought I'd just replaced)

and also when in phpmyadin it reports the local host is again running the old version 'Server version: 5.0.45-community-nt' with the "MySQL client version: 5.0.22"

I have no luck installing upgrading MySQL server database engine for client databases (instance B in the instructions) as repeatedly get the error "The system cannot find the file specified. (Error code 2) at StartService 'MySQL'" when trying to restart the sql server.

if you can help me upgrade but A & B instances of mysql it would be greatly appreciated.

J

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PLESK\PSA Config\Config\Packages\psa.core\psa\services\MySQL is not folder in file system, but key in Windows registry.
Did you compared path to executable file specified for MySQL service and real path on file system?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PLESK\PSA Config\Config\Packages\psa.core\psa\services\MySQL is not folder in file system, but key in Windows registry.
Did you compared path to executable file specified for MySQL service and real path on file system?

Im sorry I havent compared anything as I dont know where Im looking or what Im looking for?

how and where do I find the excutable file for the MySQL service?

how and where do I find the real path on the file system?

All I know is that I've followed the instuctions and plesk services monitor (system tray) kicks back the error when I try and restart the mysql service.

I've followed the instructions to update instance 'A' of mysql and it doesnt kick back an error, but the plesk panel or phpmyadmin doesnt report the newer version of mysql. so i dont know if its installed correctly.

Can you kindly break it down into understandable instruction of what Im looking for and where.

thanks

J

Managed to open up the registry key by clicking run 'regedit'.

The only thing I can find is as shown in the attached image.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PLESK\PSA Config\(then a file which says default)

I still dont know what the executable path should be.

Attachments

• registryimage.gif
    registryimage.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 9
Here is a screen shot of the .exe files within the mysql folders,

on the left of the screen you will see the new .exe files from the latest mysql download, which replaced the old .exe files (backup) which are shown on the right.

The only differences I see is the old mysql folder had a "MySQLInstanceConfig.exe" file where as the new folder which replaced it dont.

Please see the attached image.

Attachments

• exe-screenshot.gif
    exe-screenshot.gif
    51.8 KB · Views: 8
As far as I see there is really complex technical problem and I think that it can't be fixed in forum format without direct access to your server, deep investigation, etc. So, I can recommend you only contact to Parallels Support Team. Support guys will fix it for you much more faster and effectively than forum's discussion. It is really support case.

I tried to contact support but it would let me. Said my plesk doesn't include support and to use the forums. I think it's probably because i use 1and1 server package as my hosts?

Can you put forward an internal request to update both instances of mysql and phpmyadmin.

Mysql is rather out of date, has various flaws and won't run some SQL code we use with some newer software/scripts.

I was expecting plesk to be updated more often. Mysql and phpmyadmin are long out of date.

For any other people having this issue, I did a file by file comparison of all EXE files in the /bin/ directory from version 5.0.x which shipped with my installation of Plesk 9.2 and the lastest 5.1.x version. THERE IS A FILE NAME CHANGE!!!

The Windows NT style daemon (IE, service executable) in version 5.0.x is called "MYSQLD-NT.EXE" where as the new version in 5.1.x is called "MYSQLD.EXE" ... simply rename this file to "MYSQLD-NT.EXE" and restart the service. All should be well.

Back