• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

nameservers timing out

W

willyk@

Hi,

Ive just set up a new client and domain as normal.

went to my registrar and noticed it needed 2 nameservers.

I then created an 'A' record with a corresponding 'NS' record.

I now have

ns.example.com
ns1.example.com

I then pointed my domain name to these nameservers and done a DNS check to see it was propagated.

The records look fine and i can see the nameservers i have entered.

The problem i have is that the nameservers are timing out.

I done a check at www.dnsstuff.com and i get the following error.

Searching for emergencyasia.com A record at b.root-servers.net Got referral to I.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. [took 77 ms]
Searching for emergencyasia.com A record at I.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. Got referral to ns.emergencyasia.com. [took 123 ms]
Searching for emergencyasia.com A record at ns.emergencyasia.com. Timed out. Trying again.
Searching for emergencyasia.com A record at ns1.emergencyasia.com. Timed out. Trying again.
Searching for emergencyasia.com A record at ns.emergencyasia.com. Timed out. Trying again.
Searching for emergencyasia.com A record at ns1.emergencyasia.com. Timed out. Trying again.

Sorry, I could not continue.

???????????????????????

I then done a DNS zone test from the plesk cpanel and i get the error

*** Error : There is no DNS entry for your domain on this nameserver
*** : or this nameserver functions improperly.

Would really appreciate some help on this!

Tha nks in advance

First question would be, do you have working domains already on this box? Is this the first domain you have tried to create?

dnsreport is showing two different ip's:

ns.emergencyasia.com. [203.155.91.5] [TTL=172800] [TH]
ns1.emergencyasia.com. [203.155.91.7] [TTL=172800] [TH]

Which one is the address of your server?

-make sure domain is active and dns is on and master for that domain

-make sure dns services are running on that box (server > service management)

-make sure port 53 is not firewalled on your box.

Hi and thank you for your reply,

1.) This is the first domain i have tried to use on the box

2.) These are the nameservers but the IP addresses do not match my server

3.) The domain is active and was on another server before but not sure how to check if dns is master for it

4.) Dns service is running fine in cpanel

5.) I havent changed any firewall settings and cant see that port being blocked.

Maybe this has something to do with my overall settings.

I have created default nameservers for every domain i create in Plesk.

these are

ns1.phuketdesign.com / 72.232.205.243
ns2.phuketdesign.com / 72.232.205.244

when i created the domain emergencyasia.com it automatically set-up the DNS settings and included 2 NS records with the phuketdesign nameservers plus one ns.emergencyasia.com

I then created another

ns1.emergancyasia.com

with relevant A records pointing to 72.232.205.244.

Getting slightly confused here and cant understand why these IP addresses dont match.

Here is my server DNS settings

<domain>. NS ns1.phuketdesign.com.
<domain>. NS ns.<domain>.
<domain>. NS ns2.phuketdesign.com.
<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<ip> / 24 PTR <domain>.
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
ns.<domain>. A <ip>
ns1.<domain>. A 72.232.205.243
ns2.<domain>. A 72.232.205.244
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>

and this is my Domain DNS settings (emergencyasia.com)

72.232.205.244 / 24 PTR emergencyasia.com.
emergencyasia.com. NS ns2.emergencyasia.com.
emergencyasia.com. NS ns.emergencyasia.com.
emergencyasia.com. NS ns1.emergencyasia.com.
emergencyasia.com. NS ns2.phuketdesign.com.
emergencyasia.com. NS ns1.phuketdesign.com.
emergencyasia.com. A 72.232.205.244
emergencyasia.com. MX (10) mail.emergencyasia.com.
ftp.emergencyasia.com. CNAME emergencyasia.com.
mail.emergencyasia.com. A 72.232.205.244
ns.emergencyasia.com. A 72.232.205.244
ns1.emergencyasia.com. A 72.232.205.244
ns2.emergencyasia.com. A 72.232.205.244
webmail.emergencyasia.com. A 72.232.205.244
www.emergencyasia.com. CNAME emergencyasia.com.

Do i have to do all this nameserver stuff or can i not just point my domain name to the IP address and use the default nameservers?

this is my firewall settings for port 53

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

Just out of interest i have just logged into my registrar and used the forward URL option. I pointed it to my server IP and it filled in the nameserver section automatically which is

ns1.dns-diy.com
ns2.dns-diy.com

i have changed it back immediately so that propagation didnt begin.

Sawatdee!

First of all, don't use forward.

The problem may be the way you have your dns pointed at the dns registrar. You are using godaddy for dns registration? Try this.

Under your domain, go to the option called "domain host". You will need to put in your nameservers ns1.emergencyasia.com and ns2.emergencyasia.com both with the ip address of the box you are hosting them on.

Then go into plesk > emergencyasia.com >dns and make sure you have ns1 and ns2 as NS records, and ns1 and ns2 as A records with the ip address of the box they are hosted on.

My personal way of doing things is to have one "main" domain that I use as my master name servers for all other domains. That master domain (ex. somedomain.com) has the domain hosts setup at the dns registrar pointing back to it's own ip address for ns1.somedomain.com and ns2.somedomain.com.Then all other domains that I host on the same box use ns1.somedomain.com and ns2.somedomain.com as their nameservers at the registrar. That way I have no need for "domain hosts" for anything but the master domain. My main domain is my "permanent" domain name that I never plan on getting rid of and the name of my business. Make this the default for all new domains by adding ns1.somedomain.com and ns2.somedomain.com as NS records to the server's default dns template. I also add in a CNAME record for ns.<domain>. pointing to ns1.somedomain.com for general compatibility (although I'm not really sure if it's necessary?)

Your firewall is configured properly for internet dns queries and transfers.

Some added steps for redundancy and better availability would be to have a backup dns server (such as go daddy, or something free like publicdns.org) That backup would slave to your server which is master dns.

Recheck everything with dnsreport. You may need to reload dns service in Plesk. to get things xferring...

Sawatdee Khrap (you obviously have been to Thailand)

First of all the customer has been using a Thai registrar and when i go to manage domains i get ONLY the following options

1.) Use Domain Parking Service
2.) Use Web Forwarding
Forward to URL * http://
3.) DNS Setting
First DNS name *
Secondary DNS name *

There is no option to enter corresponding IP address to nameserver if you get what i mean?

ok let me recap

I have 5 available IP's

xx.xxx.xxx.242 (this is base IP and exclusive)
xx.xxx.xxx.243 (shared)
xx.xxx.xxx.244 (shared)
xx.xxx.xxx.245 (shared)
xx.xxx.xxx.246 (shared)

I have set up domain emergencyasia.com with Physical hosting at xx.xxx.xxx.243 through plesk

I have now setup the DNS settings within this domain to:

72.232.205.243 / 24 PTR emergencyasia.com.
emergencyasia.com. NS ns.emergencyasia.com.
emergencyasia.com. NS ns1.emergencyasia.com.
emergencyasia.com. NS ns2.emergencyasia.com.
emergencyasia.com. A 72.232.205.243
emergencyasia.com. MX (10) mail.emergencyasia.com.
ftp.emergencyasia.com. CNAME emergencyasia.com.
mail.emergencyasia.com. A 72.232.205.243
ns.emergencyasia.com. A 72.232.205.243
ns1.emergencyasia.com. A 72.232.205.243
ns2.emergencyasia.com. A 72.232.205.243
webmail.emergencyasia.com. A 72.232.205.243
www.emergencyasia.com. CNAME emergencyasia.com.

All is looking well?

I have went to my registrar and changed it to point to both ns1 & ns2 and now it gives me the following error:

Modify domain name server fail (Command fail - 541 Invalid attribute value)

my server DNS settings i have changed back to default (dont want to complicate things) they are as follows.

<domain>. NS ns.<domain>.
<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<ip> / 24 PTR <domain>.
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
ns.<domain>. A <ip>
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>

do i need to change anything here?

Also one more question.

On my first login to Plesk I had to stipulate hostname and domain e.g

[email protected]

I changed it to

Localhost.phuketdesign.com

Phuketdesign.com is on another server and not this one.....does this matter or will it have an effect on the DNS?

Really appreciate the help

Chok Dee Krap

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see where you went to the domain registrar for emergencyasia.com and CREATED the nameservers AT THE DOMAIN REGISTRAR LEVEL.

Creating A and NS records at the registrar is not the proper way to create a nameserver. There is a separate procedure to create nameservers, which varies according to each registrar.
Sometimes the option is not available on the customer area, sometimes it is obscured under some other option page. Contact the registrar for exact instructions.

This would also be why when doing a dnsstuff lookup on ns.emergencyasia.com, it reports no A records. (or any records)

You cannot just define the DNS records for new nameservers on the Plesk server for each domain. Creating nameservers (and their IP addresses) at the registrar level will put the info in the gTLD servers where it needs to be.

The simpler way is to just use your hosting domain's nameservers (which I assume are already working and responding).

If I missed this in your posts, then I apologize.

YOUR ABSOLUTELY CORRECT

Hi and thank you for the help,

Actually this is one thing i missed, i have contacted my Registrar regarding registering these nameservers at their level.

Seems i had everything runnin perfect within plesk and at domain level but overlooked this step!

Thanks again.

P.s How do i find out my servers default nameservers without going to support? (they are so slow) and once i find them out, is it the same setup only using their nameservers?

Back