• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Need DNS Setup Help

C

CattleDog

Hi,

I need help setting up a my server as a DNS server using Plesk. I have been trying for a week now and still have not figured it out. Here is where I am.

I am running Plesk 6.5 for Windows on a Windows 2003 server (I have disabled the Windows DNS server). I have created my domain and setup the DNS entries using the default template. It is configured as show below.

Host Record type Value
xx.xx.xx.xx1 / 24 PTR domain.com.
domain.com. A xx.xx.xx.xx1
domain.com. MX mail.domain.com.
domain.com. NS ns1.domain.com.
domain.com. NS ns2.domain.com.
ftp.domain.com. CNAME domain.com.
mail.domain.com. A xx.xx.xx.xx1
ns1.domain.com. A xx.xx.xx.xx1
ns2.domain.com. A xx.xx.xx.xx2
webmail.domain.com. A xx.xx.xx.xx1
www.domain.com. CNAME domain.com.

I would like to use ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com as my nameservers.

I have already changed the nameservers entries for my domain.com with goDaddy.com to point to ns1.theplanet.com and ns2.theplanet.com.

I can now access my site at www.domain.com but when I try to point my other domains, domain.net to ns1.domain.com or ns2.domain.com, goDaddy.com says they do not exist. I have tried running the reports on dnsstuff.com and it can not find them either.

I know I am missing something but I am not sure what.

Any help would be appreciated.

The problem is with GoDaddy. You have to actually create the name servers, not just point your domain at those name servers.

They actually try to tell you not to do this. :)

You need to edit where it says "Domain Hosts" and create your name servers there.

Hope this helps.

Back