• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Need help with some questions I have about Web Hosting Server

DigitalWeb

New Pleskian
Hello,
After a lot of search and many different answers I found I'm making this topic to have some better answers for my project and figure out the best way to upgrade my webhosting.
I want inform you that I have the "basic" knowledge on Linux and I am searching and learning.

First of all I have the following dedicated server:
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz (16 core(s))
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.41_build1800220207.23 os_CentOS 8
CentOS Linux 8.5.2111
RAM 128 GB non-ECC DDR4
SSD 2x2TB
Connection 1,000 Mbit

I have 11 working e-shops, most of them are based on wordpress+woocommerce (2 of them are opencart)
6 WordPress websites.
My monthly traffic usage is 650GB up to 900GB which the most traffic comes from 5 evommerce websites.

The problem I have is that some Ecommerce websites are lagging too much specially on backend sometimes takes for some changes 1-2 minutes.. (I also using redis server) On other server they was running really faster like 5-15 seconds. ( The websites are optimized and running fine )

So I need to make a really fast and strong server because 2 customers are going to advertise their eshops on TV so many traffic will come at the same time. my questions are

1. I am thinking to change to this server for better performance: Dedicated Root Server Hosting
1.1 Are the 64GB RAM Enough or is better to upgrade it to 128GB? if yes should I choose ECC or non-ECC (the cost is 10€ plus for ECC
2. What OS should I choose for best performance and stability? I am same familiar with all Linux distros so I don't have personal preference.. I just need fast processes.
3. Is there any setup - addon or something important that I need to get-install to make get the best performance?
4. Is it worth and faster to stay to my server, upgrade my software to Alma Linux or Rocky Linux ( I don't know also which are better) and make any change to fix the performance?

Thank you very much..
I am really in a headache with all those questions I need to figure out..
I wish someone will help me find the best way to do that I want..
I am tired of changing servers and have not the best performance my customers need..

Thank you very much again...

There is no right or wrong answers and is very much a case by case. I would recommend looking at the current statistics of what's being utilize on the current server and scale base on that. With that said, if you're going with Plesk, you should look at the system requirements

So using what is listed for recommended using WordPress all by itself for example for 17 sites, that's a little over a gig all by itself in terms of RAM. But let's assume out of those 17 sites, only, say, 6 of them are consistently getting connections, you might want to assign about 1 or 2 GB to them, but for this math, let's use 2 GB, so that's a total of 12 GB assigned right there, the remaining is getting about 700 MB total.

Overall you can get away with 64 GB overall depending on factors. But, like I said, I'm just hard balling here (your best guessament for what you should get is looking at what you're currently using).

Of course, I would throw away the notion that's listed there for the swap space stating half the amount of RAM is needed if you're going to stick with 128 GB since you do not need that much swap space taking up your drive space when you have that much (heck, I think what you have now is probably an overkill as it is but I don't know what your current resource usage is like so I can't really comment much lol).

But, anyways, like I'm saying, it's really hard to say what would be right for your set up. I think 64 GB would still be overkill based off of what is stated but, again, you will need to review how much resources you're using currently and decide from there if you want to downgrade the amount of RAM or stick with it.

As for Operating system, this is primary personal preferences. But you can see the list of supported OSes here:

I tend to stick with RHEL for my web server (been running CentOS 7 for many years, recently changed to AlmaLinux 8 though which is also RHEL based), personally, and never had issues. I broken away from CentOS since CentOS 8 is no longer supported by Plesk and CentOS 7 is reaching EOL in another year, but any of the OSes listed on that site is good to go with, just a personal preference of how you wanna dice it.

But asking if there's an addon or anything important to get the best performance or something is really hard to say since each environment is different. It could be as simple of making sure you have caching configured in NGINX or Apache (personal preference I prefer to use NGINX over Apace, but that's just me) correctly to as complex as making sure your MySQL databases is fine tuned (refer to https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...-slow-performance-of-MySQL-on-a-Plesk-server- and MySQL Performance Tuning (second link is still useful if you're not currently using plesk). There's also a script to help fine tune the database to get every performance out there on GitHub at GitHub - major/MySQLTuner-perl: MySQLTuner is a script written in Perl that will assist you with your MySQL configuration and make recommendations for increased performance and stability.

As for the last question, I'm a big advocate to just get a new server and move every thing over, start fresh. But, again, depends on what you're going for. There is no cookie cutter way of giving you an answer and why there's many different answers out there.

Hello this is Gulshan Negi
Well, I can give you an answer to your third and fourth questions.
Ans. 3: There are several setups and add-ons that you can install to optimize your server for performance, such as Nginx or Apache web servers, MySQL or MariaDB database servers, and PHP-FPM for handling PHP requests.
Ans. 4: While upgrading your software to Alma Linux or Rocky Linux might help boost the performance of your current server, it might not be enough to keep up with your website's high traffic demands. Assuming you choose to remain with your ongoing server, you can take a stab at improving the product and design to get the best presentation. However, upgrading to a server with more power may be preferable if you want to ensure that your websites can handle the anticipated traffic from television advertisements.
I hope you are clear now.
Thanks

Back