• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

new BU utilities - SUCKS

Re: Plesk 8

Originally posted by JoaoCorreia
Well you shouldn't upgrade to Plesk 8 until after at least 2-3 months when some bugs are solved.

For the upgrade problems I see I think Im going to stick with Plesk 7.5.4 forever and stop paying my SUS.

Regards
Joao Correia

NO DOUBT - Perhaps SWsoft might consider a more in-depth IN-HOUSE review before releasing major upgrades.

I'd like to know why they would change the psabackup/restore without conversion abilities AND more importantly WHY did they disable FTP backups.

I mean think about it.

Let's back up our server to a local file, then REIMAGE the server.

That makes for a great restore process!!!

DOH!

lol, indeed, well, for my case, i always perform backups locally, then upload the files to another server in a different datacenter, with a .sh script i wrote, isnt an advanced one indeed, but works for what i want it.

pleskbackup --all filename

tar the file (its already tared but well you never know if you can save some hundreds of megabytes)
ncftpput the file.

every 2 days that file runs in a cron at arround 4am, at least it allowes me to keep my backups safe, and if i need to reimage, it wont hurt much, only a couple of hours of downtime (while transfering the backup back to the server and restoring it)

and if all goes ok ok, then just restart the box :p

but indeed, thats the worse error they have ever made, not making the new backup/restore program compatible with the old backup system.

The thing that gets me raw is that pleskbackup doesn't conform to typical conventions.

I used my script substituting the new pleskbackup command and it doesn't work at all.

Nothing I have been able to do with pleskbackup has worked when attempting to write to an FTP server.

Nothing I do will allow the FTP/IP to work correctly.

Anyone have a resolution?
Code:
Erroneous request: Element 'ip-address': [facet 'pattern'] The value 'xxx.xxx.xx' is not accepted by the pattern '([01]?\p{Nd}{1,2}|2([0-4]\p{Nd}|5[0-5]))(\.([01]?\p{Nd}{1,2}|2([0-4]\p{Nd}|5[0-5]))){3}'.

Element 'ip-address': 'xxx.xxx.xx' is not a valid value of the atomic type 'IpAddressType'.

Element 'ip-address': [facet 'pattern'] The value 'xxx.xxx.xx' is not accepted by the pattern '([01]?\p{Nd}{1,2}|2([0-4]\p{Nd}|5[0-5]))(\.([01]?\p{Nd}{1,2}|2([0-4]\p{Nd}|5[0-5]))){3}'.

Element 'ip-address': 'xxx.xxx.xx' is not a valid value of the atomic type 'IpAddressType'.
$backupdir=/AB/CD/EF/

/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --all $backupdir/dump1_$date.svr

I for one am not willing to run backups on a server with such a faulty OS.

We are reverting to 7.5.4 and until SWsoft can assure P8's viability for production hosts, we will remain with 7.5.4.

Not specifically because the backup is no longer viable, but for multiple faults in it's present upgrades.

Wow! This is bloody pathetic.

My server almost crashed and burned when I tried to cancel the backup because I did a syntax error. Apparently, a reboot is the only way to end all these backup processes.

Talk about stupid and confusing documentation!

I'm boycotting sw-soft. I'll be buying my cpanel license soon. I'm through with this ****.

Sorry to be the one to say it, but if you go with cPanel, you'll be back..... LOL

No matter how much I *****, whine and take up time doing it.

SW-Soft is the best choice by far.

I manage both cPanel and Plesk servers, indeed Plesk is higly superior in some ways, but the robust/stable features of cPanel cant be denied.

"I PREFER" Plesk over cpanel MILLIONS OF TIMES, i would never consider cpanel for my own business, but the clients i manage, they are very comfortable with cpanel, so, as phatPhrog said, we'll see you back here soon.

Originally posted by phatPhrog
Sorry to be the one to say it, but if you go with cPanel, you'll be back..... LOL

No matter how much I *****, whine and take up time doing it.

SW-Soft is the best choice by far.

No no. I won't come back. I've managed many cPanel servers in the past, it's a really nice system, it just takes time to get used to.

I know that Plesk offers easier usability out-of-the-box for beginner users, but there are themes for cPanel which offer the same simplicity. Aswell, most of my custommers don't use the panel except to view their ressource usage.

Sw-soft is just not worth dealing with. They've screwed up many times.

I bought a cheap $50 / month box and have to use rsync for backups. Only decent way having tried both4psa and plesk tools.

I'm running reoback for years. I just needed to add a little script in the case plesks creates a domain, automaticaly adds it in the "to backup" list. all backups are done for each domain.

Roll on 8.1 where all of this backup mess is supposed to be resolved.

How on earth 8.0 could have been released on a professional basis is beyond belief.

ok, here step by step.

1. download reoback and install reoback.
2. configure the settings in /etc/reoback/settings.conf as you want.
3. create the a file:
e.g. /home/scripts/create_backup.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo -e "# Domain backup: $1\nFile: $1\n/home/httpd/vhosts/$1\n" >> /etc/reoback/files.conf

4. open up plesk admin view
5. go to event handler and add:
on domain creatin -> following code:
sh /home/scripts/create_backup.sh <new_domain_name>

Done. Now you're certainly asking yourself, what will happen if you remove a domain.. you can do that with sed, but I haven't finished it yet..

Looks like 8.1 has slipped....

From Plesk:

"Plesk 8.1 release is planned on this autumn.

Yes FTP backup will be released there.

Please let us know if you have any further questions."

I thought there was a 2 gig FILE SIZE limit for Linux.

Personally, I rather have 10, 2 gig files, then one massive file.

Originally posted by JLChafardet

# export PLESKX_SPLIT_SIZE=21474836480
# /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --all /path/to/file/FILENAMEHERE -verbose

this command will split backup file with size 20G. Increasing the variable you can create the only backup file.

Originally posted by nightwalker
I thought there was a 2 gig FILE SIZE limit for Linux.

Linux may theoretically handle files up to 8 exabytes (8388608 terabytes).

I've asked Plesk developers about this limit and they said it was chosen to deal with several broken FTP clients and servers, which are not able to handle files larger than 2 gigabytes.

pleskbackup

Hi,

We are running Plesk 8.0.1 on RHE4.

Currently our server only has 4 domains on it but when the backup command is ran it outputs:

[root@s1 home]# /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup --all fullbackup -verbose
Done: domain(s)

Is does not list domains/clients being backed up.

Is this a problem or am I missing something?

m.

Empty Backups

I contacted SW-Soft regarding this and they were unwilling to help and said I needed to contact our colo (EV1).

A helpful webtech at EV1 said:

===
The backup created by the command you're using, when decompressed, is about 3 megs. This is about 53 megs short of what it should be, and your command usage according to http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk8.0/Doc/plesk-8-backup-restore-users-guide/18900.htm is absolutely correct. Because of these reasons, I have escalated th is ticket to SW-Soft's technical support engineers. We will update you with a solution as soon as we are updated. Thanks for your patience.
===

Interesting... I wonder what the problem is.

m.

Back