• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

New domain creates NS record not in dns template

G

got-hosting

I have a very frustrating issue.

In Plesh, I have configured the server dns as follows:

<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<domain>. NS ns1.mynameserver.net.
<domain>. NS ns2.mynameserver.net.
<ip> / 24 PTR <domain>.
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
mssql.<domain>. A <ip>
sitebuilder.<domain>. A <ip>
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>

However, when I create a domain, I actually get THREE NS records created. The two above, plus a bonus one that is the hostname for the server. While I agree that technically this is harmless, it does make for ugly FAIL messages when a client runs a domain test at a place like dnsreports.com.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks!

Jon

Hi,
guess you're using MS DNS, it always adds DNS record with server name, so you have to set FQDN name to your server.

Hm. So, if I understand, this is normal behavior, adn the only way to mitigate it is to change the server hosting name to say, ns1.mydomain.com? And then remove that from teh plesk dns template?

Is there a better option than using the MS DNS?

Interesting. On my other Plesk Windows SErver, using the MS DNS is not even an option, but on this one it is and its selected. What is the general concensus on this issue?

Is it safe to simply switch it?

As someone said, it's normal that MS-DNS server adds another NS record with your server name (so you get records like: servername.domain.com, ns1.domain.com, ns2.domain.com).

How to remove it
After you've created hosting for a domain, and Plesk adds NS records to MS-DNS, start MS-DNS manually (Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> DNS), select Forward Lookup Zones and find newly created domain. Double click Start of Authority (SOA) record, go to Name Servers tab and delete the extra nameserver record and that's it. After clicking OK, you can go to DNS Action menu and select to Update Server Data Files.

Yes, that is what we have been doing, and other than giving a warning at places like dnsreport.com, I realize its not a hug issue, but it is an annoyance. Oh well, if that were the only Microsoft Annoyance in the world...

:D

Back