• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue New Subdomain Not Working & Securing Plesk With Let's Encrypt

TIMinion

New Pleskian
Hello Everyone,

I have taken a break, come back and done verything the same, however, although I have done things the same, there appears to be other settings elsehwere which are configured differently or whatnot.

I have a fresh new install with Linux CentOS and Plesk Obsidian.

Securing Plesk With Let's Encrypt

My domain has been secured, however going to MyDomain.com:8443, this is not secured. I have been into the SSL/TLS Certificates, went throught he process to secure Plesk, entered my domain and whatnot, however I still have the same problem. I have attempted to change it myself to match the one for my site, and this has had no effect either. I have been through lots of YouTube videos and threads, however I still cannot resolve this issue.

Adding A New Subdomain

I went through Plesk to add a new subdomain, user.MyDomain.com and all is showing within Plesk, however it is not showing when I go to that URL, it is not showing on the DNS register to get a Let's Encrypt for that subdomain, I am with IONOS and when I went into my domains area there, and into manage subdomains, there are no subdomains showing up there.

DNS settings keep cropping up, and I am just so unfamiliar with this. Last time I had this set up, I was able to work away with ease, and I just do not understand what is the cause of these issues. I am just so fustrated and I cannot seem to find the right answers, or perhaps understand the solution. Last time round, I would go into Plesk, make a subdomain, and it would be available instantly, then I coudl apply a certificate and whatnot, this time round I am just running into multiple walls.

Please let me know any additional informaiton which may help.

Please Note: I am visually impaired, which I bring up as there have been times where I have missed an "Ok/Save" button becuase they were not in the typical place and were not in my magnifier viewport. Please kindly bear this in mind.

Thank you for any help and/or advice!

Securing Plesk With Let's Encrypt

My domain has been secured, however going to MyDomain.com:8443, this is not secured. I have been into the SSL/TLS Certificates, went throught he process to secure Plesk, entered my domain and whatnot, however I still have the same problem. I have attempted to change it myself to match the one for my site, and this has had no effect either. I have been through lots of YouTube videos and threads, however I still cannot resolve this issue.
You may or may not know, or may not have remembered from previous, but the the SSL Certificates for MyDomain.com and MyDomain.com:8443 i.e. Plesk are stored in separate locations. They can be the same certificate e.g. the MyDomain.com Cert can be manually copied over to MyDomain.com:8443 or the reverse and/or they can be generated from within Plesk separately, but the locations are always different. Assuming that you're using the Plesk Panel / GUI which, in theory, is easier for visually ipaired use, not CLI and/or FTP, the locations are these: (apologies if you've already checked thsese, but it's not clear from above ^)
/modules/sslit/index.php/index/certificate/id/*Domain-ID-No* - This is the Plesk Panel location for the MyDomain.com Certificate
/admin/ssl-certificate/list - This is the Plesk Panel location for MyDomain.com:8443 for the MyDomain.com:8443 Certificate

Adding A New Subdomain

I went through Plesk to add a new subdomain, user.MyDomain.com and all is showing within Plesk, however it is not showing when I go to that URL, it is not showing on the DNS register to get a Let's Encrypt for that subdomain, I am with IONOS and when I went into my domains area there, and into manage subdomains, there are no subdomains showing up there.
With IONOS, you must actually create the sub-directory there, within your IONOS Panel (well certainly you must, with their Cloud Servers, which we use) in order to facilitate all of the DNS records that are required from IONOS and then, create the sub-directory in Plesk too, to add all of your actual SSL Certificates / Hosting Settings / Files etc. IF you have ALL of your DNS records managed within Plesk and have configured your IONOS setup to suit, then your experience may vary. Again, you've not actually said where all of your DNS records are stored and managed from in the details above and below, hence the variables.
DNS settings keep cropping up, and I am just so unfamiliar with this. Last time I had this set up, I was able to work away with ease, and I just do not understand what is the cause of these issues. I am just so fustrated and I cannot seem to find the right answers, or perhaps understand the solution. Last time round, I would go into Plesk, make a subdomain, and it would be available instantly, then I coudl apply a certificate and whatnot, this time round I am just running into multiple walls.
See above. You can have Master / Slave setup for DNS too e.g. IONOS / Plesk etc (if you want / if it's needed) but there must be one primary location for all records and both Plesk and IONOS must be configured correctly to make this work, that's for both Standard (i.e. Single Source) DNS and/or Master / Slave DNS

You may or may not know, or may not have remembered from previous, but the the SSL Certificates for MyDomain.com and MyDomain.com:8443 i.e. Plesk are stored in separate locations. They can be the same certificate e.g. the MyDomain.com Cert can be manually copied over to MyDomain.com:8443 or the reverse and/or they can be generated from within Plesk separately, but the locations are always different. Assuming that you're using the Plesk Panel / GUI which, in theory, is easier for visually ipaired use, not CLI and/or FTP, the locations are these: (apologies if you've already checked thsese, but it's not clear from above ^)
/modules/sslit/index.php/index/certificate/id/*Domain-ID-No* - This is the Plesk Panel location for the MyDomain.com Certificate
/admin/ssl-certificate/list - This is the Plesk Panel location for MyDomain.com:8443 for the MyDomain.com:8443 Certificate

I cannot find any reference to what "GUI" refers to, I am in the "Power User View". I never had to do much, and this view seemed most idea for my use. My main work was done via upload through the likes of Dreamweaver and SHELL access through PuTTY, maining logging into Plesk to access PHPMyAdmin.

I believe these places are the same as the ones you describe?

Plesk Secure: :8443/admin/ssl-certificate/list
Domain Secure: :8443/modules/letsencrypt/

The domain secure area shows the main domain has a Let's Encrypt but not for the sub domain.

I do however recall downloading the certificate in the past and adding it to the plesk secure page which I just found to be located at ":8443/smb/ssl-certificate/list/id/1", looking very similiar to what you have explained.

And bingo! I have just secured :8443 by downloading the certificate and uploading to the plesk area!

With IONOS, you must actually create the sub-directory there, within your IONOS Panel (well certainly you must, with their Cloud Servers, which we use) in order to facilitate all of the DNS records that are required from IONOS and then, create the sub-directory in Plesk too, to add all of your actual SSL Certificates / Hosting Settings / Files etc. IF you have ALL of your DNS records managed within Plesk and have configured your IONOS setup to suit, then your experience may vary. Again, you've not actually said where all of your DNS records are stored and managed from in the details above and below, hence the variables.

See above. You can have Master / Slave setup for DNS too e.g. IONOS / Plesk etc (if you want / if it's needed) but there must be one primary location for all records and both Plesk and IONOS must be configured correctly to make this work, that's for both Standard (i.e. Single Source) DNS and/or Master / Slave DNS

I have just created the subdomain through IONOS and I have a problem I encountered with my domain; The domain used to say "Use Your Domain" and IONOS helped me, they modified my DNS and then I was able to access Plesk. I've looked at the DNS settings, and they appear to be exactly the same as the sub-domain, however the subdomain is now displaying this "Use Your Domain".

I have completely no idea what "Master / Slave" refers to.

I don't think any of the information on the DNS page is sensitive? Looking at adding screenshots, as I do not know the informaiton required to help.

As a side question, with you also being with IONOS: On theIONOS "Domains & SSL" area, they show as unsecure, even though through Plesk I've added a Let's Encrypt. Is this just IONOS trying to sell me their own SSL?

I cannot find any reference to what "GUI" refers to, I am in the "Power User View". I never had to do much, and this view seemed most idea for my use. My main work was done via upload through the likes of Dreamweaver and SHELL access through PuTTY, maining logging into Plesk to access PHPMyAdmin.
You're currently using the same Plesk Panel view than we use: Power User View and GUI Is just an generic acronym for Graphical User Interface so the acronym can be used to describe any application / software package which has one e.g. Plesk Panel
I believe these places are the same as the ones you describe?

Plesk Secure: :8443/admin/ssl-certificate/list
That one is, yes
Domain Secure: :8443/modules/letsencrypt/
Nearly... Pretty sure that one ^ is the main Let's Encrypt Plesk Extension page, which lists all of the domains / SSL Certs etc not just one specific domain

The one posted earlier, which is only for any specific domain, is easily accessed via:
/smb/web/view - then choose a domain (which expands the view of that domain) - then look for 'Security' in that view and click the 'SSL/TLS Certificates' line
The domain secure area shows the main domain has a Let's Encrypt but not for the sub domain.
You would need a *Wildcard SSL Certificate, IF, you want to cover your new sub-domain and any other sub-domains, that form part of that specific domain.
One level of domain / sub-domain SSL coverage is easy, but issuing certificates that cover domain / sub-domain / sub-sub-domain etc is more complicated.
I do however recall downloading the certificate in the past and adding it to the plesk secure page which I just found to be located at ":8443/smb/ssl-certificate/list/id/1", looking very similiar to what you have explained. And bingo! I have just secured :8443 by downloading the certificate and uploading to the plesk area!
Well, that's one item solved! :D NB Make sure you select that specific certificate and use the 'Make Default' icon to enable it as the Plesk default certificate.
You can go and double check that here: /admin/ip-address/list/ by clicking on the IP Address(es) and verifiying that they show the correct certificate.
I have just created the subdomain through IONOS and I have a problem I encountered with my domain; The domain used to say "Use Your Domain" and IONOS helped me, they modified my DNS and then I was able to access Plesk. I've looked at the DNS settings, and they appear to be exactly the same as the sub-domain, however the subdomain is now displaying this "Use Your Domain".
Yes, it will stay like that, until you actually add some DNS Records yourself, to that sub-domain (not the domain - as they are different DNS record sets). Most of the default DNS records that IONOS provide for the sub-domain, you'll probably want to remove anyway, as they usually are just MX records etc which relate to IONOS mail servers and just a guess here, but presumably, you're using your Plesk Hosting Domain as your mail server for your domains anyway and/or you may not even need any mail service on the sub-domain. As a minimum, you'd probably want to add: A / AAAA records plus MX / TXT records IF you will use mail
I have completely no idea what "Master / Slave" refers to.
That's fine. Just forget it then. We don't use it either and never have done, but others do.
I don't think any of the information on the DNS page is sensitive? Looking at adding screenshots, as I do not know the informaiton required to help.
You can send screenshots via 'conversations' (private messages) on this forum. That can be easier than editing / sanitising them & posting them on the forum
As a side question, with you also being with IONOS: On theIONOS "Domains & SSL" area, they show as unsecure, even though through Plesk I've added a Let's Encrypt. Is this just IONOS trying to sell me their own SSL?
Yes. You can just ignore that. It's simply IONOS intentionally 'ignoring' the SSL Certs that you've obtained yourself, instead of buying them from IONOS ;)

@TIMinion Apologies, in the above section re *Wildcard" SSL Certs that cover domain / sub-domain etc the ability for you to create an SSL Cert for sub-domain only was omitted. That would remove the need for a *Wildcard" SSL Cert on the domain itself. Again it's an option we don't use, but others can and regularly do.

Have got all the other stuff you sent via PM and will reply to all of that, there.

Back