• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

New WP Platform questions

Chaddeus

New Pleskian
Hello,

I’m new to the world of hosting... but come from an IT/developer background. I’m looking to build a sort of mini platform to host my WordPress clients (on LiquidWeb cloud servers).

As I dig in, I’m discovering all sorts of things like cPanel, Plesk, WHM, WHMCS, WordPress Bridge, etc...

First I found WHMCS. It seems like it’ll provision hosting. Then I see it provides a client area to manage their hosting.

I see it can provision cPanel or Plesk... I’m leaning toward Plesk because of your awesome looking WP toolkit. But here’s where things start getting a little confusing for me.

WHMCS creates a client area where clients can manage their hosting. But Plesk has a client login too... where they can manage their sites.

But I’d really prefer this was all in one dashboard... and feel like I’m missing something.

Here are my requirements:
  • Provision WP sites
    • Pre-built with plugins/themes/settings - based on the package purchased by the client
    • Auto created when payment succeeds
    • Staging site created at the same time
  • Staging and Live
    • With sync between the two
  • Backup and restore
    • Stored on server, or perhaps S3
    • Daily, before updates, and on demand
  • SSL Certs
    • Free from Let’s Encrypt or paid
  • Billing
    • Accept credit cards via Stripe
    • Recurring charges and invoices
    • Capable of upgrade/downgrade between plans, prorated
    • Can terminate site plan; get backup files
    • Bonus if it supports global VAT
I know that’s a lot, but I also want to put that into an easy to use dashboard. Where clients can one-click install Let’s Encrypt certs. Or trigger backup and restores. Or manage their billing stuff...

I believe this is a combination of WHMCS, Plesk Onyx, Plesk WordPress Toolkit, the Let’s Encrypt extension, and possibly the Perfect Dashboard extension.

But I’m not certain... do I need WHMCS at all? Or can Plesk handle all this? Can a single dashboard be achieved? Or am I completely off?

I apologize up front, but promise I’ll learn quick. Thank you so much for your time and support.

Chad

Most of your requirements can be handled by Plesk WordPress Toolkit. More details you can find here WordPress Toolkit
The problem in provisioning/payment. Plesk itself hasn't this system. But third-party solutions like WHMCS likely doesn't support all WP related Plesk features.
But if you talking about "a sort of mini platform to host my WordPress clients" I suppose that you can build it on Plesk base. Maybe with some limitations but for small hosting it should work well.

Thanks. I'm reading through documentation right now, I'm in the "Reseller: Understanding Service Plans and Subscriptions."

It looks like plans and subscriptions can be created in Plesk. But I don't see any mention of billing.

Moving on to the "Starting Your Business in Plesk" it sounds like subscriptions are setup manually.

Is this where something like WHMCS comes in? It handles the billing and then interfaces with Plesk to provision plans?

Perhaps I could use WHMCS to manage billing then direct the client to Plesk for them to manage their sites?

Would I be able to set up a dashboard in Plesk where my clients could one-click install SSL, click to run backup/restore, and maybe see how much storage/bandwidth they're using?

Judging by the "Changing Branding and Interface Settings" documentation, I probably can. but want to be sure.

Sorry, I know... lots of questions. As I read more it starts making more sense, but then new questions pop up too. ;)

Thank you!

Is this where something like WHMCS comes in? It handles the billing and then interfaces with Plesk to provision plans?
Plesk doesn't have own billing system. But you can use WHMCS for billing/provisioning. But the problem in that seems latest WHMCS Plesk plugin doesn't support latest WP Toolkit features like "Pre-built with plugins/themes/settings - based Service Plans", etc.
Perhaps I could use WHMCS to manage billing then direct the client to Plesk for them to manage their sites?
Yes, you could try. Anyway, as result, your clients will have credentials for access to their Plesk Customer Panel.
Would I be able to set up a dashboard in Plesk where my clients could one-click install SSL, click to run backup/restore, and maybe see how much storage/bandwidth they're using?
I'd suggest you create test customer's account on our Demo https and check that customer can do in his account.

...you can use WHMCS for billing/provisioning. But the problem in that seems latest WHMCS Plesk plugin doesn't support latest WP Toolkit features like "Pre-built with plugins/themes/settings - based Service Plans"...

Oh no! So if I use WHMCS to bill, which uses Plesk to provision, Plesk won't automatically install WordPress?

Or do you mean that I won't be able to use WHMCS's interface, but Plesk's will work still?

At this point, I'm thinking I'll use WHMCS only to handle billing and then Plesk to do everything else.

Or is there a different billing system that works better with Plesk?

And I'll check out the demo site you mentioned.

Thanks, Igor. Is there a billing system that Plesk would recommend?

WHMCS was just what I happened to discover first. If there is better, I'm open to suggestions. ;)

I will check that out.

If you don't mind, I want to verify something, because you mentioned WP Toolkit incompatibility.

If I use WHMCS to handle billing only:
  • Will Plesk be able to auto-install WP + plugins/themes/settings?
  • Can I use the WP Toolkit features for SSL, backups, and staging?
I really appreciate your patience while I get all this straight in my mind.

It depends on how WHMCS provisioning works with Plesk Service Plans. I don't know exactly. If WHMCS just provisions Service Plan which was already prepared on the Plesk side with all WP features - it would be great. But if you should prepare Plesk Service Plan on WHMCS side - I'm not sure that all WP features of Service Plan may be handled on WHMCS side...
Again - I'm not familiar with WHMCS. Sorry.

Well! This thread help to get good piece of information about Wordpress. I got answers of my some questions from this discussion.

@Chaddeus:

• Will Plesk be able to auto-install WP + plugins/themes/settings?

Yes, if your Service Plan in Plesk is set to auto-install WP w/ a plugin & theme set.

• Can I use the WP Toolkit features for SSL, backups, and staging?

I'm not sure what you mean -- can you clarify your question?

Back