• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Newbie needs file ownership help

N

nickgarnett

Hi
Just got my first VPS running latest Plesk 10 and am struggling with file ownership issues with both Joomla 2.5 and Wordpress 3.3 installations.
I understand permissions but do not understand the required ownership protocols to enable Wordpress and Joomla auto upgrades.
For example:
3 Wordpress installations, 1 - installed via Plesk and chown to account owner works perfectly, 2 - installed by owner via FTP requires FTP authorisation inside Wordpress to apply auto updates, 3 - installed in same way won't write or update at all. I've chown'd folders to account holder, FTP user to no avail. I just don't understand.
Perhaps someone could point me at a comprehensive, plain English 'How to' regarding 'Ownership/permissions
Many Thanks
Nick Garnett

Hi, Are you installing Wordpress and Joomla from APS Catalog or on your own? Apps coming from APS Catalog are supposed to have proper permissions configured.

Hi
So is the correct scenario for installing Wordpress and/or Joomla via Plesk panel, login as owner (customer), install via panel and ownership/permissions should be good for auto updates etc.?
Do you think that problems arise when I install for a customer via panel whilst I'm logged in as owner of VPS?
And what is the correct process if I install for a customer via FTP, for example if I move a site, should I always do this whilst logged in as customer?
I hope I'm not too confusing as I'm learning all this at the moment
Thanks
Nick Garnett

Hi Nick,

It is supposed to work well as long as you installed through CP. We cannot guarantee result of manual installation (upload through FTP, unpack, run some scripts, etc), but when you do it in CP it is supposed to work correctly.
If you installed app from CP and some of its features don't work - please tell us and we will file a bug on it.

If you installed via FTP, the best is to be logged as customer (their FTP account). Otherwise file ownership may be incorrect and customer may face problems later.

Regards

permissions messed up

Sergey! I installed wordpress through the control panel, since then, its impossible to update the software, its just impossible. it keeps complaining about errors "permission denied"

sorted it out manually yet not manually lol

sorted it out chmod -R 777 blogfolder
update
chmod back to normal non 777 permissions.

Back