• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question new to Plesk - how to configure Apache2 website - file location?

ipanini

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hi,
New to Plesk so please bear with me.
I have just recently signed up for a new virtual server and want to create two websites on that server (Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS).
So I installed Apache2 + docs + utils and started the Apache2 server.

Now I'm struggling with the default Plesk webpage.
My first goal would be to get the 2 sites pointing correctly at the server then configure apache2 to serve 2 sites.

When I create the domains in Plesk Admin, additional characters are added at the end of the domain name.
Using terminal and ssh-ing into the server, I find that the 2 domains that I created in Plesk admin, are owned by psaserv, and that I do not have permission to access.

Question:
1. Is there some help page indicating how to go about this?
2. How do I go about these permissions? Do I just chown or chmod them?
3. How to get ftp access(rights) to these locations?

Thanks for helping out!

Hi @ipanini, thank you for using Plesk! Welcome to the community. It can be a challenge to start on a new system. I'd like to address one thing first, because it can make your life easier for you: Forget about manual configurations of Apache, let Plesk do the work.

In Plesk you create customers (your user accounts) and subscriptions. Every customer can have one or more subscription. Mostly one is good. Within a subscription you can add domains and run websites. All major configuration work for such domains is done in the subscription. It is correct and desired to have psaserv as the group of the subscription and psacln as the group for anything inside that subscription. That is perfectly alright. Do not change these as other groups will result in permission issues.

FTP can be configured from within the subscription, too.

Maybe you want to take some steps now, have a thousand new questions, but all can be answered (normally) by quite friendly other forum users here. We also have extensive documentation such as Quick Start with Plesk and a large and excellent knowledge base https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us where you will find lots and lots of useful information.

Hi @ipanini, thank you for using Plesk! Welcome to the community. It can be a challenge to start on a new system. I'd like to address one thing first, because it can make your life easier for you: Forget about manual configurations of Apache, let Plesk do the work.

In Plesk you create customers (your user accounts) and subscriptions. Every customer can have one or more subscription. Mostly one is good. Within a subscription you can add domains and run websites. All major configuration work for such domains is done in the subscription. It is correct and desired to have psaserv as the group of the subscription and psacln as the group for anything inside that subscription. That is perfectly alright. Do not change these as other groups will result in permission issues.

FTP can be configured from within the subscription, too.

Maybe you want to take some steps now, have a thousand new questions, but all can be answered (normally) by quite friendly other forum users here. We also have extensive documentation such as Quick Start with Plesk and a large and excellent knowledge base https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us where you will find lots and lots of useful information.
Hi Peter,
Thanks a lot for your quick info;
I've started out with creating a user, and have assigned it Administrator role for the time being. I've also enabled this admin user to access all subscriptions.
I can login with the newly created user, so that's ok, and I also notice a smaller subset of Plesk tools or capabilities in the lefhand Plesk bar.

What does not work as expected yet?
Each time my browser tries to access my hosted website, I land on the default Plesk login page.
I searched and found that you should be able to adjust that behaviour in Tools & Settings > General Settings > Adjust Plesk URL.
It then requests you to first login on using port 8443, like this www.mysite.com:8443. So far so good.
I've done that and the login with port 8443 works, but nevertheless I get presented with the default Plesk login.
For completeness sake, I need to add that I'm working to host 2 sites on this server, so that may require something more to be done.

Thanks for helping out!

Back