• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Newbie question

E

edmorey

Hello - I am a Plesk newbie running a trial version with an ISP in the UK called WebFusion. I am trying to understand the scope of Plesk. I would very much appreciate guidance in the following areas...

1. Can I install my favourite commercial software applications into the Plesk environment or am I restricted to a preset list of supported applications (if the latter, is there a list of these)?

2. I use several 3rd party commercial ASP components in the web site solutions I build (for emailing, uploading, etc) - can I install these into the Plesk environment? If so how do I do this - I have read the admin manual and cannot see how?

3. Bit more subjective this one - what do people think about Plesk vs a colocated server where you do whatever you like? What are the plusses & minusses of both?

4. How robust is Plesk - my initial experience has been mediocre because on day 2 my login failed (and has yet to return).

Regards
Ed

edmorey

1. Preset list of applications is those applications which were tested with Plesk.. You can install any applications you want beeing following vendors manuals (of corse without any warranty from SWsoft Inc., - also check the compability list (for ex. don't install Active Directory DC on Plesk Server, PHP 5.0, ASP.NET 2.0 ). --- The complete list of applications is listed on Plesk CP-> Server-> Application Vault
2. See 1st answer
3. Just make query to yahoo.com "Plesk webhosting" - you will see hundreds, thousands pages in return
4.Each new version suggests more and more posibilities. Want Window - easy, Linux - easy. Just one rule. Let Plesk do things its own - (for ex. don't modify IIS directly and so on).

Back