• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Newbie, urgent help is needed!

Vulteer

New Pleskian
Hey guys I have used plesk for 2 weeks now and I'm hosting a website which is getting alot of traffic. My server is perfect, but now I feel like the website is running slow at peak times. The server loads are nothing(it is 0.08), but the website is slow. So I'm wondering how I can tune my apache. I can't httpd.conf or anything related to change prefork settings/apache tuning. My etc folder is even empty, I don't understand why these don't exist. Please guys help me as I'm new at plesk system, I'm helpless as of right now :(

Note: I also can't access conf, it says:
Error: Unable to change directory to /conf: filemng: opendir failed: Permission denied

System error 13: Permission denied

Last edited:
This is a User to User forum, where fellow Plesk users will respond if they have a useful comment to make on a post. So don't expect instant answers, or any answer at all. But usually people do respond as long as the post is sensible and polite, and they have something useful to add.

Firstly, the File Manager can only access files that are owned by the hosting account user (typically the username you selected when creating the hosting for domain), and usually the files in the /var/www/vhost/domain.tld/conf directory are owned by root. In any case, other than vhost.conf, you should not directly edit stuff in there.

The main apache configuration is in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf (for RedHat/Centos type OSes and elsewhere for others).

To edit this and other configuration files to make global changes you would normally use an SSH client like PuTTY to connect to your server directly. You may then have to change to the root user. How to do this sort of thing, which user to use and so in is something that the company that provided your server should be able to help you with if you didn't do the install of the OS yourself.

Note that slowness in one thing may be related to a problem in something else. In other words it isn't necessarily apache that's the problem. However, the out of the box apache configuration is not necessarily ideal for all situations so it is certainly somewhere to start looking.

But before you do anything else, check your logs for errors. Not just the apache log, but the main system logs too.
Does your site rely on a database? If so then database configuration tuning is something to look at (and database logs).
Also make sure your dns server is configured correctly and working as expected.

There's an awful lot to look into if you are unlucky and don't find the cause of the slowdown easily/quickly, so have patience. Take a look at utilities like apachetop and apachebench (ab) to see what apache might be doing or not doing. You can install these from the command line, though you may need to obtain them from a third party repo or compile them from scratch.

Also read and re-read the Plesk manuals - particularly the admin one - in detail. There's lots of useful stuff in there but it is a big document and difficult to digest in one go.

Last edited:
This is a User to User forum, where fellow Plesk users will respond if they have a useful comment to make on a post. So don't expect instant answers, or any answer at all. But usually people do respond as long as the post is sensible and polite, and they have something useful to add.

Firstly, the File Manager can only access files that are owned by the hosting account user (typically the username you selected when creating the hosting for domain), and usually the files in the /var/www/vhost/domain.tld/conf directory are owned by root. In any case, other than vhost.conf, you should not directly edit stuff in there.

The main apache configuration is in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf (for RedHat/Centos type OSes and elsewhere for others).

To edit this and other configuration files to make global changes you would normally use an SSH client like PuTTY to connect to your server directly. You may then have to change to the root user. How to do this sort of thing, which user to use and so in is something that the company that provided your server should be able to help you with if you didn't do the install of the OS yourself.

Note that slowness in one thing may be related to a problem in something else. In other words it isn't necessarily apache that's the problem. However, the out of the box apache configuration is not necessarily ideal for all situations so it is certainly somewhere to start looking.

But before you do anything else, check your logs for errors. Not just the apache log, but the main system logs too.
Does your site rely on a database? If so then database configuration tuning is something to look at (and database logs).
Also make sure your dns server is configured correctly and working as expected.

There's an awful lot to look into if you are unlucky and don't find the cause of the slowdown easily/quickly, so have patience. Take a look at utilities like apachetop and apachebench (ab) to see what apache might be doing or not doing. You can install these from the command line, though you may need to obtain them from a third party repo or compile them from scratch.

Also read and re-read the Plesk manuals - particularly the admin one - in detail. There's lots of useful stuff in there but it is a big document and difficult to digest in one go.
Your post didn't even help me. I have now moved to Cpanel which is much better and has made my website faster and it's durable of more visitors per day. Thanks, but Plesk sucks ***. I don't even know where to begin. The support is awful. I contacted them and they didn't even understand what I was talking about - they simply don't know anything about their product. Seriously, if you want to offer good support, don't ****ing hire Indian lady who's unable to understand a ****. And what did you say? Respond to users when they have something useful to say? Wow. What a breached comment. If you want to respond to your customers just ****ing do it.

Faris, that was a rather helpful and restrained response for a rather rude OP!!
And as for you. Don't ****ing be a wannabe-mod, post digger.

Btw, Plesk is full of backdoors and is constant vulnerable. I'm very happy that I bought Cpanel.

Last edited:
Nice! I needed a chuckle tonight! Just got it!

Best of luck with CPanel - both panels have their pros and cons! As does everything in this world!

Back