• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Nginx 410

DHR

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.8 (Sapphire Caracal)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.56,
Good morning,

I want to use Nginx additional directives to tell crawlers that a page no longer exists.

No solution found works!

Could anyone give me the exact syntax to use?

Thank you in advance for your help.

If a file does not exist, the web server responds with a 404 not found error. This tells crawlers that the file does not exist. I am lost what extra directive you are seeking. Please let the community know more about it.

The 404 error indicates that the page no longer exists. We can redirect it.

I would like to indicate to the robots that this url no longer exists definitively and that it must be removed from the indexes. Isn’t that the point of error 410?

I don't think so because I don't want to block the robots but only indicate to Google that a page no longer exists.

The ordinary error no. 404 indicates that to search engines. There is nothing special you need to do. Just let your webserver respond with a "not found". If you choose to redirect such cases to another page, you can still deliver the 404 not found, for example with
ErrorDocument 404 http://www.example.com/index.php
to your homepage in your .htaccess file. It will still respond with a 404 error code, but then show the homepage instead. Search engines will read the 404 error and know that the page no longer exists.

Back