• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved Nginx 410

DHR

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.8 (Sapphire Caracal)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.56,
Good morning,

I want to use Nginx additional directives to tell crawlers that a page no longer exists.

No solution found works!

Could anyone give me the exact syntax to use?

Thank you in advance for your help.

If a file does not exist, the web server responds with a 404 not found error. This tells crawlers that the file does not exist. I am lost what extra directive you are seeking. Please let the community know more about it.

The 404 error indicates that the page no longer exists. We can redirect it.

I would like to indicate to the robots that this url no longer exists definitively and that it must be removed from the indexes. Isn’t that the point of error 410?

I don't think so because I don't want to block the robots but only indicate to Google that a page no longer exists.

The ordinary error no. 404 indicates that to search engines. There is nothing special you need to do. Just let your webserver respond with a "not found". If you choose to redirect such cases to another page, you can still deliver the 404 not found, for example with
ErrorDocument 404 http://www.example.com/index.php
to your homepage in your .htaccess file. It will still respond with a 404 error code, but then show the homepage instead. Search engines will read the 404 error and know that the page no longer exists.

Back