• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question nginx error 502 | Preview button missing

CoyoteKG

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

I needed to stop nginx service, because I had unexpected problems with 502 error. So for now is easiest to switch it off..
But now Preview button not working.

I find that this option is very useful when I migrating sites to server. Because without DNS propagation I can check if everything is OK.

Is it possible to use preview somehow without nginx?

And can you help me how to solve that nginx problem?
I saw that many users have problem with fail2ban and nginx, but I'm not sure that I have the same issue.
I tried to find something useful in logs but no success.

Hi CoyoteKG,

And can you help me how to solve that nginx problem?
As a longterm-user of this forum ( 148 posts ), you really should know by now, that people willing to help you are quite bad in guessings, in order to be able to investigate your issue and to suggest possible solutions or work-arounds. Pls. add at least:
  • YOUR current operating system
  • YOUR current Plesk version ( incl. #MU )
  • YOUR nginx - version
  • YOUR current PHP - handler for the specific (sub)domain
  • Depending log - files, which point to your errors/issues/problems.
  • Depending configuration files from your folder "/var/www/vhosts/system/(subdomain.)YOUR-DOMAIN.COM/conf" ( incl. the vhosts_* - files, pls! )

I saw that many users have problem with fail2ban and nginx, but I'm not sure that I have the same issue.
If you desire additional help for Fail2Ban, pls. include as well a "fail2ban.log" in your attachments, which points to possible errors/issues/problems.

Hi @UFHH01

you are totally right. I'm sorry.

Centos 7.3
Plesk Onyx - Version 17.0.17 Update #20
nginx/1.11.4
PHP 5.6.30 FPM
Apache/2.4.6
mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.7.17

Configuration files are maybe different now because I switched of nginx.
You can find attached conf files, and error logs.

Problem was happened 20.03.2017 about 10:50. Few moments/minutes before that In panel I checked for nginx "serve static files". Maybe that has nothing with problem, but just say...

It would be great if I can have caching proxy before Magento site, because we have a huge number of visits, and Apache CPU Load is "red" about 50-70%

Regards,

Attachments

• conf-files.zip
    7 KB · Views: 1
  • error-logs.zip
    217 KB · Views: 1
Hi CoyoteKG,

this is your XX. - thread/post with issue/errors/problems with magento since April 2016, in combination with nginx and the depending PHP - handler. Don't you think that it is about time to stick to ONE thread only, untill you solved all your issues/errors/problems ?

I really recommend to read and follow some good tutorials, as for example => https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-install-magento-with-nginx-on-ubuntu/ , with which you should be able to learn some basics ( like for example the need of nginx rewrites, when using a combination of apache2+nginx+php-fpm ) and you will be able to transfer your new knowledge to a working magento site, without issues.
Pls. invest as well some more time to spy at => https://github.com/magenx/Magento-nginx-config / https://github.com/magenx/Magento-mysql and https://github.com/magenx/Magento-Automated-Server-Configuration-from-MagenX for further informations and knowledge input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will try to read and understand all of that.
But... I'm using Plesk from that reason to simplify webhost administering, and avoid problems bacause "not enough" knowledge about LAMP administering.
Unfortunately 50% of Plesks functions not working at all. It's always need to do and fix something....

It is funny because on homepage there is
upload_2017-3-22_18-37-37.png

And there on Forum only you and Peter are active. Thanks to you two, I learned bunch of staff.
Strange is that before few days I realize that you two are just regular users, not members of Plesk team...

Also, I'm going back to my problem.
This is magento 1.9 not 2, like my previous problems. And this 1.9 version worked 5 days without problems. But suddenly, I suppose because I check "serve static files" everything broken...
I unchecked it again, but nothing better...
Also, it is not problem only with Magento, but with Wordpress also... Wordpress also not working...

Anyway, thanks for links

Hi CoyoteKG,

Unfortunately 50% of Plesks functions not working at all. It's always need to do and fix something....
Sorry, but this statement is just wrong and before stating more in this direction, pls. consider to add some proof based facts ( but you should consider to do that in a separate thread, to avoid mixing critic with support request in the plesk - related forums. ;)

Strange is that before few days I realize that you two are just regular users, not members of Plesk team...
Pls. be informed, that this is a "Plesk - Community". You will meet Plesk - Team - Members, Plesk addicted people ( like @Peter Debik :D ), webmaster, hosters, developers and as well simply: Plesk - Users. This Community is not at all an replacement for the official Plesk support, it is meant to be a platform for users who use Plesk and a so called "self-support" - community for Plesk products and it's components.
The ( from you ) red circled advertising slogan can be safely accepted because the fact is that Plesk makes it very easy for a user to manage the infrastructure and security on a server without having learned / studied server administration (with a few clicks). You do not even have to understand Linux to create domains, make DNS entries, run a mail server, or to install a web server in combination with a proxy and related PHP handlers on servers with linux software. But again, if you desire to write critics, or want to give feedback, you should do that in another forum/thread, because this has got absolutely nothing to do with your thread title and the initial post. ;)

Also, I'm going back to my problem.
This is magento 1.9 not 2, like my previous problems. And this 1.9 version worked 5 days without problems. But suddenly, I suppose because I check "serve static files" everything broken...
I unchecked it again, but nothing better...
Also, it is not problem only with Magento, but with Wordpress also... Wordpress also not working...
You might consider to overthink your basic informations and possible thoughts. "Magento" and "Wordpress" can be installed as ADDITIONAL application ( yes, PACKED by Plesk, but not invented and coded by Plesk!!! ) and Plesk even offers a very usefull Wordpress-Toolkit as Plesk extension, but this doesn't mean, that "Magento" or "Wordpress" are Plesk products or components. Both of these two application are CONTENT - unique, configurable, individual and are administrated solely by the customer himself. Yes, the WP-Toolkit HELPS to administrate wordpress instances, but an additional wordpress plugin, or a theme for example can destroy the funtionality for your whole wordpress installation and even could even destroy your whole layout construction.

Some content uses redirects or additional configuration ( as for example configured in ".htaccess" - files for apache ), but if you use a combination of apache+nginx, you will have to convert these ".htaccess" - files, because NGINX can read ( understand ) these modifications. If you miss that essential part, you will mostly experience issues/errors/problems and malfunction.

You might use as well PHP-FPM instead of FastCGI on your (sub)domain and you could experience here as well, that if you don't modify the configuration files, your content might again not work as expected, if the essential modifications are not setup. Pls. inform yourself about the differences between FastCGI - usage and PHP-FPM and if essential modification are needed, so that the content is being displayed in browsers as expected.

Conclusion: You seem to think, that Plesk takes over the "job" of an system/server administrator / webmaster, analysing issues/errors/problems, solving needed modification for your unique content, etc. - but I'm sorry, that is not the case. Plesk HELPS to make things much easier for system/server administrators / webmasters, often with just a few clicks, but Plesk will never replace the system administrator / webmaster. Plesk is even able to restore standart configuration for apache and nginx ( or other services on your server ), but when your content needs additional configuration/modification in order to work as expected, the system/server administrator / webmaster is in charge!

I liked your post. It's deserve it ;)

When I said 50%, maybe I'm little bit disappointed... Yes, It is easy to create webspace, users, domains, ssl, wordpress toolkit, etc etc.....
But for example, installing magento from App manager is not possible. Maybe on your installation it is, because you found how to set server, but I searched this forum and I found that I'm not the only one with that problem. Also I saw post from someone from team that they know about that problem and at this moment can't solve.

After that I "just" check that nginx serve static files, and everything went down...
I activated nginx again before one hour, and unchecked that, and now again sites are up and running...
But I need to say that I'm a little bit scared to "check" or do something in plesk that I did not used it earlier...

Oh wow, a thread where I can add my opinion, too :D

Many users experience severe issues with Magento installations on barebone systems, too. This is not a Plesk problem, but a Magento problem. In my humble opinion, there are some developer groups out in the wild who are just stone cold crazy when it comes to coding the edge of what is currently state of the art. Magento is one of them. The minimum system requirements and overall layout of these packages are so steep that normal users will drive their systems against a dozen walls while trying a simple "Hello World" installation. I've never understood and likely never will understand why users need the cutting edge maximum. 90% of the functions and gimmicks of these packages won't ever be used in real shops anyway. We've seen highly successful shops and customers who are using very old fashioned, but simple software. One reason for what they are successful is that they don't spend their day with managing super elaborate application, but a simply platform from where they sell their stuff.

The key to success in these matters is not to blame Plesk, but to keep studying Linux and learning all the caveats and inter-software-issues. It's a never ending story, but it is a requirement if you want to run a system like Magento successfully. Even if you manage to get it up and running now - some awkward update will ruin it all, and then you must be able to pull yourself out of that swamp again and get your shop running. It's nothing different than operating a real shop out on the street. Some night an idiot sticks a chewing gum into your door lock, so you'll need to be able to fix it next day (or call a locksmith). The drain in customer bathrooms might be blocked - so you need to know how to fix it, or pay a plumber. That's just the normal way life goes. Software is no different.

I can just say that compared to the time when we fully managed our servers on our own and were using different control panels with lots of homemade add-on software for surveillance and enhanced functionality, Plesk is a blessing. Let alone the security features and the automatic Wordpress updates, the health monitor and the fail2ban integration, the forbidden-domain-name list and this super easy customer-friendly Let's encrypt extension - you name it, I like it. This is all saving so much time compared to doing all of that on your own. Are there issues with Plesk? Yes, plenty - and many of them not even caused by the Plesk software but by operating system libraries. But despite the issues, in my opinion it is still the best choice one can make.

I have nothing to add to the words of respected @Peter Debik and @UFHH01 . Everything is said by them.

I can only add that we have created a special thread on the situation with Magento. Responsible people in the Plesk team regularly read and study what you write there.

Yes, the situation with Magento on Plesk is not easy, but the search for its solution continues and work is on.
It would be much easier and more convenient for us and for Plesk community if all the information accumulated in one place, but not in the form of numerous new threads throughout the forum.

Thank you for understanding.

Back