• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

nginx won't start - getsebool: SELinux is disabled

JMB8877

New Pleskian
Hi,

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this...

I've upgraded my Centos 5.8 box from Plesk 10.4.4 to 11.0.9 Update #4. I installed nginx with the Parallels installer, but I can't get nginx to start.

When turing on the service through the Services Management panel, I receive the following error:

Error: Unable to make action: Unable to manage service by nginxmng: Empty error message from utility. ('--enable', 'nginx')

When running '/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/nginxmng --enable' on the command line it returns:

getsebool: SELinux is disabled

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

J

Do you have psa-selinux package installed? Try to reinstall it.

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the reply. The psa-selinex package was installed, so I tried to reinstall it with rpm and I got this output:

semodule: SELinux policy is not managed or store cannot be accessed.
semodule: SELinux policy is not managed or store cannot be accessed.
getsebool: SELinux is disabled
Shutting down kernel logger: [PASSED]
Shutting down system logger: [ OK ]
Starting system logger: [ OK ]
Starting kernel logger: [PASSED]

Last edited:
I suppose it's just a warning (due to SELinux being disabled on your machine).

To look into the real cause try to: 1) run nginxmng --enable 2) look at and post here the latest log matching /tmp/nginx_proxy.log.*

Thanks for the reply Nikolay.

Here is the contents of the nginx_proxy.log:

Checking for the group 'psaserv'...
Trying to add supplementary group 'psaserv' for user 'nginx'... done
Switching Apache ports in config files using mapping '80:7080,443:7081'
Apache config file backups will be saved to '/tmp/nginx_proxy_backups.v13426'
Updating '/etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf'.
Performing add of Apache RPAF module
Performing add of Apache aclr2 module
Switching NGINX rc enabled state to 'yes'
Switching Apache ability to bind to any port (SELinux) to 1
Warning: SELinux boolean httpd_can_bind_all_ports not found. Is plesk.pp policy installed?
Doing NGINX stop
Doing Apache restart
Doing NGINX start
Service /etc/init.d/nginx failed to start

What is the output of 'getenforce' command? Check that Plesk policy is really installed via 'semoule -l | grep plesk'.

Why nginx haven't been able to start? See in /var/log/nginx/error.log. Most probably it didn't succeed in binding to port 80 or 443. If so, the next step will be to determine why Apache is still bound to these ports. Check 'Listen' directives in your Apache configuration.

Thank you Nikolay! It was a 'Listen' directive in my Apache conf that was set to the IP of the server. I removed the IP, just leaving the port number (80) and nginx started up straight away. No error messages about SELinux either.

Thank you so much for your help with this!

Cheers,

J

Back