• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue No DNS server but it seems I need one

Th0r5ten

New Pleskian
Hi,

I want to install a Let‘s encrypt-certificate for a domain. DNS-/TLS-support is enabled. I chose one of the domains, chose DNS/TLS, clicked on Renew certificate and chose the Let‘s encrypt-certificate.

Now plesk is asking me to add a DNS entry. The problem is that I seem to use a plesk installation without a DNS-server.

I don‘t actually have a clue what a SSL-certificate or DNS mean. I made this website for a friend, it’s small, it’s handwritten code, it's not responsive … but it‘s been working and my friend likes it. But here I just don‘t get any further.

Kind regards
Thorsten

791FC8F3-6E02-495A-BDC8-7E79C0DA3451.jpeg

If you cannot maintain DNS settings in your plesk control panel, probably your provider manages your DNS settings for you in their nameservers or you can edit these entries in a control panel that your provider has for you.

The special entries are only required for Let's Encrypt wildcard certificates. Do you really need a wildcard certificate? Else you could simply issue a normal certificate for your domain, subdomains, webmail etc.

Hello Th0r5ten,

It sounds like you are having an issue while installing the SSL certificate, and you are asked to add DNS. And this time you chose the Let’s Encrypt certificate.

AS you have mentioned that you don’t have any idea about SSL and DNS.

SSL means Secure Sockets Layer, which is a security protocol that is responsible to make the website secure and safe to interact with by making purchases or providing your personal information etc. You will usually find the "padlock" icon or "https" where "S" represents the security.

DNS stands for Domain Name System human readable Domain name into IP address to deliver the desired web data. In short, DNS translates the domain name into an IP address and checks on which server IP address is pinging to that particular domain.

Now you should install the DNS server in Plesk.
- Login to the Plesk panel from the root/administrator user
- Go to Tool Setting
- Check for the option "Updates"
- Open add/remove component

from here you can install the DNS server

Now, For the SSL certificate installation, Your Local DNS service should be stopped and if it is, the TXT record will not be generated automatically.

Let me guide you through some steps.
- According to me first, you need to start the DNS service by going to tools and settings, then Service Management.
- Now, Click on Domains. then Test.com and then go into Let’s Encrypt certificates.
- Apply Renew Certificate.
- Now, you need to verify if the TXT record resolves or not externally. which can be done via ssh with the command dig TXT _acme-challenge.Test.com +short:
- If it is not resolved add the record to the external DNS server and also remove the existing records from there.
- Now coming back to Plesk, press reload button.

You can try this one, your issue can be resolved.

Back