• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

No logs for fail2ban?

Chris1

Regular Pleskian
I'm just wondering how I can start logging activity in Fail2Ban. I've got the following line in the "logs" tab in "IP Address Banning" in the Plesk UI:

/var/log/fail2ban.log

However when I check this it states "The file is empty".

I'm assuming there will be a setting somewhere that tells fail2ban to log to that file but I'm not sure where/what it is?

I know for sure that I've had IP's banned but they just don't appear to be logged.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Chris

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

This is switched on, fail2ban is certainly working as I receive emails when IP's get banned. Nothing goes into the log file though.

Hi Chris1,

your fail2ban configuration is located at: /etc/fail2ban

... and the initial configuration is defined at "/etc/fail2ban/fail2ban.conf" - where you will find as well the configuration line: "logtarget = /var/log/fail2ban.log". You will find as well the log - level definition, which might be changed, if you experience issues/problems, so that the output is more detailed ( I would suggest the "loglevel = 3" = INFO ).

To see if fail2ban started as expected and runs in the background, you could use the command:

service fail2ban status

Hi Chris1,

your fail2ban configuration is located at: /etc/fail2ban

... and the initial configuration is defined at "/etc/fail2ban/fail2ban.conf" - where you will find as well the configuration line: "logtarget = /var/log/fail2ban.log". You will find as well the log - level definition, which might be changed, if you experience issues/problems, so that the output is more detailed ( I would suggest the "loglevel = 3" = INFO ).

To see if fail2ban started as expected and runs in the background, you could use the command:

service fail2ban status

Hi UFHH01,

I've checked my fail2ban.conf file and I have the following:

loglevel =3
logtarget = /var/log/fail2ban.log

I get the following result when I run "service fail2ban status":

fail2ban-server (pid 1395) is running...
Status
|- Number of jail: 11
`- Jail list: plesk-apache-badbot, recidive, ssh-iptables, plesk-roundcube, plesk-panel, plesk-apache, plesk-courierimap, wordpress, plesk-postfix, plesk-horde, plesk-proftpd

My server banned an IP for trying to log into FTP too many times but still nothing in fail2ban.log.

Hi Chris1,

... a bit strange... I have to admit.

For the developpers from Parallels, you might include your operating system and Plesk version ( incl. MU )... just to make them happy, if they would like to try to reproduce the issue.

As a work - around I would suggest to re-install your Fail2Ban extension with the command:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --remove-component fail2ban
mv /etc/fail2ban /etc/fail2ban.backup
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component fail2ban

... and activate the desired jails again over the Plesk Control Panel afterwards.

The command "service fail2ban restart" should normally lead to reset all jails and reset the iptaples - configuration from fail2ban and as well to write all to the defined log ( depending on the log - level ).

Hi there,

It looks like I've resolved the issue, thank you.

My log target was set to something else before I changed it to "/var/log/fail2ban.log" and I thought I had restarted fail2ban since then but apparently not.

I appreciate your assistance.

Kind regards,
Chris

Back