• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved no longer existent subdomain issue

jorge ceballos

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.55 update 2
Hi,

Had subdomain ww2.domain.com working for a website for many years.
Some months ago, we decided to use main domain.com and weeks later - using the cp - deleted subdomain ww2, as it was no longer used.

Everything was fine until past week when in order to makethe site more SEO friendly, WP permalinks were changed from regular "page?=123" link to "/the-name-of-the-post".
All the post recreated their slug correctly but when trying to open them, they redirect to the old, no longer existent ww2.domain.com - showing network error of course as there are no DNS records on this subdomain.
Reviewed everything in the site, including the site's DB, related to some possible link not properly reconfigured, to no avail.
Even greped all the files in the whole server looking for ww2. and found nothing either

This leads me to think that the issue may be located in the PSA tables where something was left of the ww2 subdomain.

Any idea anyone?

TIA

Did also searched trough the database of your wordpress installation for the ww2 subdomain as well? My experience with WP link issues is that often some snipets are left in various tables of the WP database.

Hi Kaspar,
Following your advice, reviewed all the databases in the domain, erased the ones no longer needed and left only the site's actual database.
None of the erased DB had any info or were related to the former ww2.domain.com site. Please remember the ww2.domain site was deleted several weeks ago.

I'm pretty lost on this.

Thanks,
Did also searched trough the database of your wordpress installation for the ww2 subdomain as well? My experience with WP link issues is that often some snipets are left in various tables of the WP database.

Can't imaging plesk store a lot of domain configration data in the PSA database. But you could of course search trough the PSA for ww2 remnants.

Another suggestion would be zip/archive the website, export the WP database and completely delete the domain from Plesk. That way all domain configration/data should have been deleted from the server. Then re-create the domain and restore the website manually from the DB export and zip/archive.

Kaspar,
Thanks for your help.
It happened to be a .htaccess error :rolleyes:.
Still what keeps intriguing me is why did it redirect to a no longer existent site.|

¿ dns cache maybe? how can it be flushed?
Thanks again

Hi,

Had subdomain ww2.domain.com working for a website for many years.
Some months ago, we decided to use main domain.com and weeks later - using the cp - deleted subdomain ww2, as it was no longer used.

Everything was fine until past week when in order to makethe site more SEO friendly, WP permalinks were changed from regular "page?=123" link to "/the-name-of-the-post".
All the post recreated their slug correctly but when trying to open them, they redirect to the old, no longer existent ww2.domain.com - showing network error of course as there are no DNS records on this subdomain.
Reviewed everything in the site, including the site's DB, related to some possible link not properly reconfigured, to no avail.
Even greped all the files in the whole server looking for ww2. and found nothing either

This leads me to think that the issue may be located in the PSA tables where something was left of the ww2 subdomain.

Any idea anyone?

TIA

Please, mark this issue as solved.
For some awkward reason, I can never change issues status as solved .

Back