• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved No underscore used as delimiter when setting a custom user prefix for database users

Kaspar

API expert
Plesk Guru
Username:

TITLE

No underscore used as delimiter when setting a custom user prefix for database users

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

CentOS 7.9
Plesk 18.0.51
MariaDB 10.5

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

In Tools & Settings > Database Hosting Settings both the option name for a database user prefix:
Add a prefix and underscore to the beginning of database user names
and the description a for database user prefix:
Database user names will look like <prefix>_<database_user_name>. Due to the database restriction of the user name length, <prefix> may be abbreviated.
indicate that a underscore is used as a delimiter/separtor of the prefix and user name. However when setting a custom prefix for database users no underscore is used as the delimiter of the prefix and user name.

I've replicated this issue with MariaDB versions 10.2 and 10.5. I am not sure if this issue is also present when using other MariaDB or MySQL versions.

On a separate note, the Database Hosting Preferences documentation could do with an update, as it does not mention anything about using custom prefixes.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1) Go to Tools & Settings > Database Hosting Settings
2) Set a custom prefix for database users
3) Go to Domains and either add a new domain or click on an already existing domain
4) Click Databases and then click the Add database button

Notice how there is no underscore to separate the prefix from the user name.
b2A6fu9.png

ACTUAL RESULT

No underscore to separate the prefix from the user name.

EXPECTED RESULT

A underscore to separate the prefix from the user name is expected.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Before I forward this please let us briefly discuss it. I am not sure whether this is a product issue or whether documentation is wrong. There is not technical requirement for an underscore in a database name, and certainly there will be some users who prefer to omit an underscore. I've also had cases here where users said their database does not work with underscores (which is wrong, at least when you enclose the name in backticks `), so maybe it is a good idea to have the option of not using an underscore. In that case the documentation would need to be updated.

On the other hand, maybe the definition should be to always have the underscore, in that case the Plesk function needs to be updated.

What is your opinion on that? Is the documentation wrong or is the product doing it wrong?

Before I forward this please let us briefly discuss it. I am not sure whether this is a product issue or whether documentation is wrong. There is not technical requirement for an underscore in a database name, and certainly there will be some users who prefer to omit an underscore. I've also had cases here where users said their database does not work with underscores (which is wrong, at least when you enclose the name in backticks `), so maybe it is a good idea to have the option of not using an underscore. In that case the documentation would need to be updated.

On the other hand, maybe the definition should be to always have the underscore, in that case the Plesk function needs to be updated.

What is your opinion on that? Is the documentation wrong or is the product doing it wrong?
Just so there is no confusion I want to point out that the report only relates the prefix of database users. Prefixes of actual databases always contain an underscore at the end of the prefix.

I am not sure whether or not having a underscore in the prefix has any functional benefit or is just cosmetic. To be honest I am also not sure if the description of the option isn't accurate (or outdated) or whether the function itself doesn't work as intended. I suppose it depends on what was initially intended. Currently however the description and the way the option omits an underscore when setting a custom prefix seem to contradict each other. As the the description clearly indicates that underscore will be used. For sake of consistency I also tend to favor having an underscore added to the prefix. But I perfectly understand that other (Plesk) users might feel differently. At the end of the day it is certainly not an issue worth losing any sleep over.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed statement. I have forwarded the case as ID [PPS-14131] and asked for clarification whether documentation needs an update or the function.

@Kaspar It looks like we are going with the variant that the underscore must be there. Docs are right, software is not. Now filed as a product issue as ID [PPPM-13945].

Back