• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Non-zero exit status returned by script.

Jack Yan

New Pleskian
Hi there: after my friend (who is the tech guy) installed Wordpress and got it going, I began getting an error when trying to get into wp-admin (something about too many forwards). As he’s overseas and asleep during this time, I decided to see if I could solve it. In Plesk, under the hosting settings for my domain, I have a choice under ‘Preferred domain’:

www.mysite.com
mysite.com
None

It was on mysite.com and I thought I would try None, to see what would happen. It didn’t solve the wp-admin problem so I switched it back.

Now I’ve lost all Wordpress content. Every page on the Wordpress section of the site says ‘Error establishing a database connection’ and inside Plesk, under the Wordpress app, there is this error:

Warning: The app was not configured: Non-zero exit status returned by script. Non-zero exit status returned by script.

Could someone here please give me some help? I was pretty good on Plesk back in 2012 but in the last 10 years it seems there are so many more settings now, and clearly this preferred domain option now breaks sites! Thank you!

"None" is the only safe setting for Wordpress. Wordpress stores its own URL in the siteurl and home datasets in its option table. So if the web server setting or rewrite settings in your .htaccess file do not match these URLs, an infinite redirect loop is created.

However, this setting does not influence database settings. So the other issue that you are describing is not related to it. To fix that, bring the database access credentials in wp-config.php in sync with the actual database access credentials of the database that is being used for that Wordpress instance, e.g. by editing wp-config.php or setting the correct credentials in Plesk.

Last edited:
Thank you, Peter. I’ve no idea how the other error came into being, in that case. But this is a very useful explanation.

Back