• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Not sure if I'm set up properly for shared hosting

samlf3rd

New Pleskian
Hello I am using Plesk 10.4.4 on a Godaddy virtual server.

I am trying to make sure I have my Plesk configured properly for web hosting in a shared environment.

I have a Subscription in my admin area They are set to one of my servers I.P's which I set to shared hosting.
Then I go that subscriber's control panel. From there I have added 2 domains to the account, FTP, and databases. I have created a dns record for this account too.

In my file manager (I'm using Filezilla) under the httpdocs I can see my clients folders.

Does this sound right? I thought all new clients of mine should have their own folder hierarchy? Are they supposed to all be in the main httpdocs folder?

Any help would be appreciated, as Godaddy can only give you "hints" to solve your problems...

yes, thats right.

Plesk changed the folder-hierarchy stepwise up to now (10.4.4 I think).

Each subscription gets one vhost-directory where the web-files AND the config-stuff for that particularly domain resides.
If you just add domains and subdomains to that subscription - alls the files will be kept underneath that directory (you can certainly choose which sub-directoy shall be used as document-root by editing the domain or subdomain)

For all additional domains and subdomains there will be built another folder-hierachy in the vhost-directory.
but there is only the config-stuff like vhost.conf, php.ini and all the logs.

The key here is *subscription*.

A subscription can have more than one domain (if set up to do so). But that's not necessarily what you want.

Instead of adding more domains under the same subscription, if you add additional subscriptions and put one domain in each of those, the directory trees will be separate and you won't be able to navigate from one to the other.

Back