• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved npm commands are not working via ssh chrooted.

anela

New Pleskian
I have installed node.js on Plesk Onyx17.8 . I'm trying to deploy angular universal app and for it npm command is also required. But no npm commands are being recognized. Can we use npm or node command as chrooted user in Plesk shared hosting for Linux? If we can please share how I can do it.

According to this, AngularJS is not supported by plesk. Are there any plans to release the AngularJS extension in future?

It is correct that in chrooted mode only a limited instruction set is available. Node.js can influence system services. For that reason it is not desirable to allow subscriptions to access it. It would be the same as if a subscription had full system root permissions.

So what is the solution for limited user and what will be the solution for a user with full access?

There is no good solution for a limited user, because node.js needs root access. It might be possible to install it as binaries in the user's chrooted enviroment, but then again you could equally well unlimit the user, because through node.js it is at least possible to access all the system services that you do not want the user to access.

The other option is to not us a chrooted environment for the subscription user, but in that case the user has direct and full access to your server including all other directories, users, subscriptions ...

My personal opinion is that when you work with node.js, you need one machine or virtual machine just for the project you are doing with it.

Hi and sorry for bringing up an old post but this is affecting a lot of people.

npm and yarn are heavily used in a lot of systems nowdays. It's not just angular js or other PWAs or SPAs. Even Magento 2 needs it for development and laravel and symfony and prestashop.

A2 Hosting already allows for nodejs and other development tools How to install and configure Node.js on managed hosting in shared hosting environments so apparently CPanel has found a safe way to do it. I think that PLESK should be able to do this too.

If chroot isn't enough to isolate, then PLESK needs to invest on finding a better way to isolate the user environment for ssh access or PLESK will eventually become obsolete

Back