• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

On CentOS will Remi / Epel break PHP Handlers?

speedbird

Basic Pleskian
Hey,
since I need the Epel and Remi Repos for some additional scripts, I was wondering what would happen, if for example a PHP updates becomes available on one of those repos.

Would an update break Plesks PHP handlers ? What could be done to avoid this?

Another example is, I try to install the package "php56-php-pecl-apcu" which has dependencies like "php-common" and stuff like that.

What is going to happen here?

This is what I would suggest:

1. Use the PHP packages from Plesk's repos. They have done a tremendous job supporting multiple PHP version out of the box. Also I've noticed that their PHP gets updated often and are very good with security updates. The packages shouldn't conflict with the base packages from your OS. What I've found works best is to use the default PHP from my distribution (as the Plesk control panel itself requires some PHP packages are installed). Then install the various other PHP's from the Plesk autoinstaller. The auto installer uses a different location for their own PHP handlers so it won't conflict: (/opt/plesk/php)

2. If you want to use EPEL or Remi repos then you can easily pick and choose which packages that get pulled from each. Look at the "includepkgs" or repo "priority" flags. You can choose which packages to include from each specific repo. Eg. Here is from my EPEL repo config. Notice the lines highlighted in bold:

cat /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo
[epel]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 7 - $basearch
#baseurl=hxxp://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/7/$basearch
mirrorlist=hxxps://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=epel-7&arch=$basearch
failovermethod=priority
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL-7
priority = 1
includepkgs=geo* clam* munin* monit

The includepkgs syntax supports wildcards. Also make sure to include any package dependencies to the list. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Back