• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

One public IP multiple servers

S

slacker_au

Hi all,

I dont know if this is possible with Plesk but i thought i would ask anyway.

I would like to setup a network where there would be 1 public IP address and multiple servers behind it.

The reason for this is that we are launching a free product and would like the ability to load balance multiple servers with no downtime for the customers.

I did have a go at the whole cluster function in another control panel but found that the DNS held in most ISP's for over 1 hour which caused downtime for the site we tested.

Dose anyone know if this sort of option is available with Plesk? and if so where to get more information from.

Regards,

James

Slacker,

Afaik, multiple IPs are considered as separate servers, i.e a separate license will be required for each of them.

To find out the actual info, email Parallels Sales: [email protected]

Cheers,

i feel that you are talking about NATted installation. it IS possible. the only thing Plesk itself does not include any load balancing mechanism, this is up to your router/whatever (if we talk about network load). Make sure that port forwarding is corrrectly setup and DNS is mapped to a public IP.
also make sure, that anyway, each plesk server must have own license, not a single one for a cluster:).
btw, Plesk Expand gives good manageability of load (logical this time: clients/domains) and stuff.

Thanks for the info.

I dont mind having to have each server with its own plesk installed etc,

At the end of the day what i am really after is to have one main server be a "gateway" so to speak and have all of the servers behind it. This way server A would have the public IP address that everyone is connecting to, then server B, C and D are connected behind it with the customers accounts on it, so if i want to move an account from server B to server D the site still has the same main IP then there would be no downtime to it.

Plesk itself does not do this natively, not even with Plesk Expand. You would have to setup a shared vhosts location, most likely on a shared SAN LUN or an NFS share for file access, and then you would have to make sure that when a customer creates a domain, or a customer account is created, password updated, etc that it gets replicated accross all of the machines.

Thats the only down side.

At least with Windows 2008 you can put the metabase in a shared location and use domain authenticatino (which plesk for windows doesnt support btw) so you can do it really easy - if you want to do load balancing it is possible to do regardless of OS, however it may be easier to use cpanel as they provide instructions on how to configure you system to do it, while SwSoft just tells you "No".

Back