• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

One user for several domains

T

The_Fallen

Hi,

I'm running Plesk on a Ubuntu server. At the moment there are three people using the server. Each one has a shell login and client account for Plesk. We are hosting several domains on the server and unfortunately Plesk wants to create a new user for every domain. Instead we would like to use our shell logins to administrate the domains.

At the moment I replace the httpdocs directories by symbolic links to the users' home directories manually. But I don't really like this since I have to do that every time something is changed in Plesk.

So is it possible to tell Plesk to use an existing user for a new domain? Or a nicer way to allow an existing user access to the directories created for a new domain?

thx,
fallen

there are no such feature in plesk and only solutions are manual hacks in file system and/or plesk base -- use symlinks as you do or chown new domain files to other system user after it is created or make UIDs of domain system users the same, or other ways...

to do this automatically just use event handlers in plesk: server > event manager..

Hi,

thanks for your reply.
I didn't know about the event handlers before, but they really look nice to do things like this.
My problem: to chown the directories to the system users, I would need the login name of the client, who owns the domain, because the plesk clients are the same as the system users on our server. But unfortunately I don't seem to have access to this in the scripts for the event handler. Any ideas about this?

thx,
fallen

PS: Merry Christmas!

Hello,

Have you tried to select specified system user in Plesk Control Panel > Server > Event Manager > your_event > User field?
Also, please, check permissions for this user. Can this user run the command you specified in Event Manager for this event?

I've just got it working using a small script that gets the client's username for a domain directly from the database.

Back