• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved OpenSSL upgrade problem, please help

Servus

Basic Pleskian
Hello. After upgrading OpenSSL-1.0.2g to OpenSSL-1.0.2l by this help a few errors occured. Information on internet are too different to help in best way. Some give advice to do "apt-get install build-essential" for gcc is missing, but it could damage whole system and is a high risk? Another says you need SSE4.1.
Don't know if it's possible perhaps to solve the new openssl version.
If not, please, can you tell me how I can properly remove the new files. Old OpenSSL1.0.2g version is already active and working but I don't know how to remove it proper because of dependencies and such problems.
thanks for help.

here what happened:
Code:
making links in engines/ccgost...
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/openssl-1.0.2l/engines/ccgost'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'links'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/openssl-1.0.2l/engines/ccgost'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/openssl-1.0.2l/engines'
making links in apps...
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/openssl-1.0.2l/apps'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'links'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/openssl-1.0.2l/apps'
making links in test...
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/openssl-1.0.2l/test'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/openssl-1.0.2l/test'
making links in tools...
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/openssl-1.0.2l/tools'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/openssl-1.0.2l/tools'
generating dummy tests (if needed)...
md2test.c => dummytest.c
rc5test.c => dummytest.c
jpaketest.c => dummytest.c
Configured for linux-x86_64.

root@servus:/usr/src/openssl-1.0.2l# make test
Doing certs/demo
/usr/src/openssl-1.0.2l/util/opensslwrap.sh: 25: exec: /usr/src/openssl-1.0.2l/util/../apps/openssl: not found
/usr/src/openssl-1.0.2l/util/opensslwrap.sh: 25: exec: /usr/src/openssl-1.0.2l/util/../apps/openssl: not found
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate dsa-ca.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate dsa-pca.pem
WARNING: Skipping duplicate certificate pca-cert.pem
testing...
gcc -I.. -I../include  -DOPENSSL_THREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -m64 -DL_ENDIAN -O3 -Wall -DOPENSSL_IA32_SSE2 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT5 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_GF2m -DRC4_ASM -DSHA1_ASM -DSHA256_ASM -DSHA512_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DAES_ASM -DVPAES_ASM -DBSAES_ASM -DWHIRLPOOL_ASM -DGHASH_ASM -DECP_NISTZ256_ASM   -c -o bntest.o bntest.c
make[1]: gcc: Command not found
<builtin>: recipe for target 'bntest.o' failed
make[1]: *** [bntest.o] Error 127
Makefile:472: recipe for target 'tests' failed
make: *** [tests] Error 2

Hi Servus,

Some give advice to do "apt-get install build-essential" for gcc is missing, but it could damage whole system and is a high risk?
Installing necessary tools/software, to be able to build packages from sources never caused any damage at all, since I work with linux systems. Consider to avoid to read comments from the same user/writer/blogger again, as such a statement is based on no facts and should be considered to be nonsense. :rolleyes:

The mentioned tutorial is decent and describes a good step-by-step guide, how to upgrade your openssl - version to the most recent one on Ubuntu 16.04 systems. Tested it for you and the result is:
Code:
openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.2l  25 May 2017

:)

To prepare your system to be able to compile sources, you could use as well:
Code:
aptitude install build-essential zlib1g-dev libpcre3 libpcre3-dev unzip

Thank you. Solved it by my own. First installed "make", then "make-guile". wasn't enough, gcc missing. I had to install build-essential.like you said. But not with your full command, only built-essential by OS source. Took a lot of reading and in the end it was good. Thanks for helping. Yes fine tutorial (didn't watch video, only by reading). First time updating openssl. Wow, crazy how fast running till my shell explode of codes. Thx
Time to sleep.
Bye

Back