• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

OS update Safe?

A

arnaudsj@

Hi,

I am running CentOS 3.3/3.4 on a couple of servers in a datacenter with Plesk 7.5 loaded on them and I would like to know if it is safe to perform OS updates.

I am new to Plesk + CentOS and I am a little nervous about breaking the Plesk install when running those updates as I see some components like httpd (apache2) that are going to be updated when running:
yum update

Thanks!

Sébastien

Hey:

There isn't anything particular about PSA (that I can think of) that you need to worry about with regards to updates (see below). That being said, standard update best practices should be observed, and you should always have backups of your system.

Your milage may vary, but on our systems we make the following special considerations with regards to yum exclusions:

- We do exclude kernel* (exclude=kernel*) We do this namely because we package our own kernel that we know will work with our hardware.

- We exclude spamassassin* (exclude=spamassassin*). Admittedly, this was based on an issue we had a while ago, but we are still excluding it.

Other then that, we have not had any issues that I'm aware of. Other people may be able to provide additional tales of problems with certain packages.

Good luck,

Steve

Back