• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

OS update to F8

B

blank

Cheers for the Fedora 8 support!

I assume nobody has had the time to try updating to Fedora 8 yet, but generally speaking is it anywhere near safe to update the OS? In this case from Fedora 6 to 7 and then to 8.
With Plesk messing so much with different things I am really really afraid of doing update on the distribution. In fact, I come to believe Plesk is very much like Skynet, only difference that if you try to fiddle with it it just breaks!

Fedora 8 made a great desktop (I've already gone to 9), but I wouldnt recommend it for hosting. It is slated for EOL in december I believe.

I think you might want to check out a distribution with a longer lifecycle. The turtle and I both like CentOS a lot, which has a supported lifetime of 7 years instead of Fedora's ~13 months. No need to upgrade every year and both CentOS 4 and 5 have been rock solid for us.

Unfortunately it is not that easy, the distribution was part of an inherited mess and change at this time is not yet an option.. I will surely try CentOS on the secondary server I have to setup, I have seen many people praising it. If everything goes fine I will surely try it on the primary server. No admin wants to be upgrading the distro every 6-12 months that's for sure.

Back