• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Panic, possibly need to restore my VPS Need advice please

larkum

New Pleskian
Ok I will try and make this as short as possible, I am still new to Plesk, and this will be the first time I have had to do a restore, or had any issues.

The problem which I have no idea what the actual cause was;

On the early hours of Saturday Morning, my server crashed, I have no idea what happened after it was brought back online by my host I got this error (Bellow), and all sites that run with MySQL where down unable to find the database.

ERROR: Zend_Db_Adapter_Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] No such file or directory (Abstract.php:144)

My Host stated said 'Please bear in mind that the VPS is a self managed service, please get access to the server through SSH and attempt to run the commands mentioned in this tutorial:
http://kb.odin.com/en/120312'

So I followed the tutorial, with no joy, I then did some more googling and investing, I found that mysql.sock was missing, (I have no idea how it works or is made) I kept looking, going through loads of tutorials telling me to try this and try that.

So I can only think of 1 last thing, would it be best to rebuild (restore) my VPS and restore from my FTP backup?

My concern, when I got the ftp Backup, I only ever imagined that I would need to retrieve files and folders from it, so by doing a full restore, even if this is possible would this fix the issue and would I get back everything.

Or is their a way that I can re install the server components without affecting any files, databases, accounts, and settings.

I am really confused, and really I just need someone to point me in the right direction to get this fixed and my clients sites back up and running, before they miss too many emails.

Thank you in advance, and if you need to know more please just ask.

Regards

Larkum

Normally a crash shouldn't affect your files, unless it was storage related and there was an issue with backups... Is there any way to figure out what caused the crash? Are you running a VPS or dedicated server? Was the crash only on your machine or on the entire network? What OS are you running? What version of Plesk are you running? Is it just the hosted sites, or is the panel down as well? What does MySQL come up with when you stop/start/restart it? http://kb.odin.com/en/3158

Are you sure no my.cnf can be found on the server? There can be more than one... What does this command display:

Code:
find / -type f -name my.cnf

Before anyone can venture a guess in the right direction, we really need to know a lot more...

Hi larkum,

Plesk has some features as well, which might repair some issues/problems.

First of all, you could always try to use the command:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --install-component base

... which installs the latest patches and updates/upgrades for your Plesk version. To see all possible options for the autoinstaller usage, please use the command:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --help

Second, Parallels provides the Plesk "bootstrapper", which finds and corrects several misconfigurations and re-installs as well some missing standard configuration files. The command to use the bootstrapper for Plesk 12 would be:

/usr/local/psa/bootstrapper/pp12.0.18-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh repair

Be aware that most investigations are much easier with logs and configuration files. So if you experience issues, please try to provide as much informations as possible and you will see, that the possible suggestions from people willing to help you are much more specific.

Please include as well informations about what you did and maybe provide as well the links, because we are not really able to guess, what "going through loads of tutorials telling me to try this and try that" might be.

Back