• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue VPS Server is stuck with the initial Domain Name

JohnnyRobert

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 18 (x86_64) - VZ7 (CT)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Onyx 17.8.11
Hello,

A while ago I rented a VPS server via IONOS, during the initial server configuration process I was asked to select a Domain for the Server, which I did.

Right after the VPS server was configured, a DNS Record was automatically created under the domain which I activated the VPS Server, with a public IP address and the name of the domain.

However due to some issues I've decided to buy a new domain and use that one, however I quickly realised two things:

- I am unable to delete that DNS Record entry which was automatically created (see error in the screenshot)
- It looks like the VPS server is "stuck" with the name.olddomain.us hostname

I've tried modifying the /etc/host file (replacing the old domain in the private IP line with the new domain with same private IP) and although the modification seems to go through, upon restarting the server the file is being reset back to the old hostname.

That default hostname file contains two entries:

-An entry with a public IP and the new domain which I bought
-And entry with a private IP and the old domain which acts as the hostname for the server (name.olddomain.us)

They do have an "edit hostname" setting for the VPS Server but it only lets me edit the "nickname" while the .domain.tld is greyed out, therefore not editable.

I am stuck since I need to server to migrate to the new domain, they also have a "reset" option for the server but it looks like it doesn't reset the domain on which the server is running so that's not working either.

I've reached towards IONOS for support and they told me to modify the SOA record using Plesk or the Web console, but looking through Plesk I was not able to find such an entry.
Besides that, I am not even sure that is related to my issue, it is possible they did not understand exactly what my issue is. As far as I understand the SOA records are automatically managed by Plesk and they are not related to the server domain but I may be wrong, whichever way I need some directions.

I am asking here if there is anyone which knows what I need to do either from Plesk either from the web console. I am also attaching some screenshots I took and if you need more information or if something isn't clear please let me know, hopefully someone here will be able to help me deal with this.

Attachments

• Screenshot at Apr 06 19-05-35.png
    Screenshot at Apr 06 19-05-35.png
    260 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot at Apr 06 19-06-23.png
    Screenshot at Apr 06 19-06-23.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot at Apr 06 19-11-56.png
    Screenshot at Apr 06 19-11-56.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot at Apr 06 19-12-53.png
    Screenshot at Apr 06 19-12-53.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot at Apr 06 19-26-08.png
    Screenshot at Apr 06 19-26-08.png
    194.9 KB · Views: 9
That isn't anything directly related to Plesk. Not sure how IONOS does things either. One thing I'm curious of is what the host name shows in the system overview on plesk's home page. If it shows the old name then you'll need to change it by going to Tools & Settings > Server Settings and change the full hostname from there.

That isn't anything directly related to Plesk. Not sure how IONOS does things either. One thing I'm curious of is what the host name shows in the system overview on plesk's home page. If it shows the old name then you'll need to change it by going to Tools & Settings > Server Settings and change the full hostname from there.
Hello, I did check that option in Plesk before, it is different than the hostname on IONOS (although everything still works) but I did change it just out of curiosity and it looks like the server domain remains the same though, same for the hostname.

I was told by IONOS that through Plesk I have to create an SOA record, however I couldn't find any option to add or edit the SOA record so far.

Edit: I've attached a screenshot with how it looks like in Plesk, by default after the VPS server is reset to its default settings. I did not bother to change it again a second time because I tried that already and it seems like it does not affect the domain to which the server is set-up to work on.

Attachments

• Screenshot at Apr 06 22-20-59.png
    Screenshot at Apr 06 22-20-59.png
    246.1 KB · Views: 9
Something somewhere is keeping that server stuck with the initial domain name it was activated on. I am sure that whatever that is there is a way to change it because when a VPS server is no longer rented or becomes rented by somebody else they got to have a way of switching the domain name to a new domain.

Ionos says it's solvable through Plesk or through the Web console by adding an SOA record, I've tried the web console and modified a few things (the hosts file, but it didn't solve the issue and it got reset to default anyway on server reboot) so issue wasn't solved. I think I did manage to open up the SOA records in the web console but I'd prefer not editing things in there as it's easy to mess up.

I'm not that experienced with Linux so I'd rather do it through Plesk, that's why I am asking here if anyone knows what's going on and if it can be fixed through Plesk.

@JohnnyRobert According to the screenshots from your provider account the server name is a fixed name there. This cannot be changed from within Plesk. You can add another domain name and then change the /etc/hosts file of your server and the "full hostname" field in Plesk so that Plesk uses the new hostname, but your original physical machine address in the data center will not be changed.

@JohnnyRobert According to the screenshots from your provider account the server name is a fixed name there. This cannot be changed from within Plesk. You can add another domain name and then change the /etc/hosts file of your server and the "full hostname" field in Plesk so that Plesk uses the new hostname, but your original physical machine address in the data center will not be changed.
Thank you Peter, looks like that's the case indeed. I'll see what I can do, I'll either call them again to ask them to reset it (which I've already done but it looks like they didn't understand what I was talking about) either buy a separate VPS for the new domain,

I have a feeling the second option would solve all these issues, mainly because if I keep the actual VPS it won't even let me delete the A record that it automatically created under the old domain. Things are a bit tangled up so I'd rather leave that server expire so that the mess is gone and this way I'd have the new one properly configured and with a corresponding name to match my new domain swell. Thanks God I only rented that server for 1 month so it's not that big of a deal but from a user experience perspective this isn't that great of an experience.

I have another suggestion for you
You can use free existing CDNs like cloudflare and you can add any record you need. I think your problem is not related to the server.
Also, if you have not set your rDNS record, you can ask your provider's support

Back