• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Paradigm Shift: What Happened to Customers, Subscriptions, and Domains?

epretorious

New Pleskian
I've been away from Plesk for a few years. And I just upgraded to Obsidian on Linux (18.0.54, IIRC). And there's been a paradigm shift. And I'm completely lost:
  • What's happened to Customers? That concept seems to have been replaced by Users!
  • What's happened to Subscriptions and/or Service Plans? Those concepts seem to have gone away!
  • What's happened to Domains? That concept seems to changed considerably!
I've read the Plesk Quickstart Guide. But IMO: It doesn't bridge the gaps!

Would somebody please help me understand the new paradigm? Coming from Plesk 12.5.30: This is very different and more-than-a-bit disorienting!

TIA,
Eric Pretorious
Reno, Nevada

The menu and features depend on the license and the selected view.
- Which license are you using?
- Are you using "Power User" view or "Service Provider" view?

No, I haven't considered switching to the "Service Provider" view because the "Change View" menu item does not appear in my lefthand navigation! (i.e., I'm not able to change my view.)

Is there something that I need to do before I can change my view of the control panel?

TIA,
Eric P.

Hm! So the old paradigm is dead? That's too bad - I liked the way that Plesk organized itself around the concepts of subscriptions, customers, & domains! (It seemed very logical to me.)

Eric P.

Not dead, just not available in the particular Plesk Edition you are using. I've been using the "Service Provider" view for years with pleasure in the Web Host Edition of Plesk.

So... The Plesk Admin license only provides the "Power User" view. But the Plesk Pro license provides the "Service Provider" view? Is that right? (Somehow I must have missed that in the Plesk documentation!)

TIA,
Eric P.

Yes. You'll find more information on the differences between the available Plesk editions here: Plesk Editions

BTW: It was this sentence in particular that clarified the whole "Power User" vs "Service Provider" discussion...
  • Power User view - this view is intended for enabling a single, simplified interface for server administrators to manage their own websites, e-mail accounts, and other services.
Thanks, again, @Kaspar !

Eric P.

Back