• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Password-Protected Directories, Error 401

MicheleB

Regular Pleskian
Hello,
I've a directory protected with the "Password-Protected Directories" available on Plesk (17.8.11).

Now, every time I open a page protected, I receive in the logs these two instructions:
Error {IP} 401 GET {/path to the page protected} HTTP/2.0 Apache SSL/TLS access
Access {IP} 200 GET {/path to the page protected} HTTP/2.0 Apache SSL/TLS access

In short, Plesk before create in the logs an "error" and then the "access" to the protected resources.
Is it a correct behaviour?
Thanks.

Hi there,

When you see this '401' error code, this in fact means 'unauthorized'. In short, the user has failed to supply the correct credentials for the
password protected directory, therefore they won't be able to access any resources stored there. The 200 means 'ok' and yourself or a user has been successful on
gaining access to the protected resource(s).

Hope this helps.

Ok, thanks for the informations but my question is another.
The user login correctly (or is already logged) to the private folder but Plesk register in the log file a 401 error and then immediately a 200.
My question... is a correct behaviour to obtain a 401 error every time a user open a page where is already logged?

Hello all,
I'm facing the same problem. I have followed your instruction to create a restricted area but when trying to log in. I have this error message :

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /Calendrier/ on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Could you let me know what is the problem and how I could resolv it.
Ishtar

Back