• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Patchman confidentiality

occinodo

Basic Pleskian
HI Everyone,

After upgrading to Plesk Onyx we also installed the security advisor and patchman was prominently advocated.

What concerns me about this tool is that it is being created and maintained by the same founder as the founder of a hosting company called Antagonist.

Is there anyone who is using patchman and what is your opinion regarding this matter?

I do not necessarily expect a problem, but I was wondering if anyone else who has installed this wonders about what the competitor could do with the information that could be gathered using this tool.
So it's more a question if other people who installed this extension thought about this, or better yet if there are people who chose not to install it because of this.

Hi occinodo,

"paranoia" is a really bad habbit and especially on linux based systems, you are able to INSPECT the used code of a package/add-ons, software, to verify if it "calls home" or not, or if informations are stored, collected, or do something else which might harm data protection, or privacy rights. Sorry, but consider to investigate your "paranoia" with facts, before you continue with nonsense discussions. ;)

Hi UFHH01,

I'm not paranoid, and I know the software phones home, since the information is only viewable on the patchman portal. Just wanted to know if there are any other users who installed it and what their thoughts were regarding this.

Back