• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Percona Server with PLESK Onyx

Heinrich

Basic Pleskian
Happy Holidays.

So, I wanted to use Chrismas to switch my community mysql to percona server.
I googled and found:
Does Plesk support Percona database server?
and a couple of non PLESK specific tutorials stating "Just switch the binaries and it should run like before".

Well, it didn't. Installing percona according to their manual
Installing Percona Server on Debian and Ubuntu
led to an error:
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys', which is also in package mysql-common 5.6.30-1ubuntu12.04

moving the file away didn't help. googling the problem told me to apt-get pure mysql, which wasn't possible, since there were dependencies for plesk. So, I stopped my effords and rolled the server back to the state it had last night.

But, I'm not willing to give up yet.
Is there a tutorial I missed or a soulution for my problem, so I can actually install percona without removing plest and possible a whole lot of other stuff ?

Best regards,
Heinrich

Nice, got the 'LMGTFY' award. So, did someone google that for me and came up this a solution with the problem, for I have tons of hits where what I tried is supposed to work, but it doesn't for me...

Unfortunately the way my provider installs the OS is with plesk and mysql.

And I have an ubuntu system, which afaik uses apt-get instead of rpm for installing software. So, the tutorial for centOS doesn't fit, but as far as I see, its the same steps the tutorials for ubuntu suggest, too.

My problem is, that the error about the
'trying to overwrite '/usr/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys', which is also in package mysql-common 5.6.30-1ubuntu12.04'
prevents me from going through the installation process. So, despite every tutorial stating that one has "just to switch the binaries" and "one can always downgrade back to mysql from percona" it doesn't seem to be quite that easy.

It would, of course be really great if plesk offered the option to use mysql, percona or mariaDB in it's components, just like it supports both dovecot and courtier for IMAP.

It would, of course be really great if plesk offered the option to use mysql, percona or mariaDB in it's components, just like it supports both dovecot and courtier for IMAP.
Yes, I agree.
But to be honest this issue is not related to Plesk. It is package dependences issue on OS level and should be fixed with manual resolving these dependencies, packages, etc.

True.

However, the FAQ under
Does Plesk support Percona database server?
makes it seem like I could replace them, without worrying about Plesk. But if to install percona i have to purge mysql and it has a dependency to Plesk, do I really have to remove Plesk and reinstall it?
Will my config survive this?
Can I even reinstall Plesk without mysql or will apt-get state that dependencies aren't fulfilled?

If you have such an opportunity, then the best option would be migration to the new Plesk server installed on Ubuntu with Percona.

Back