• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Persistent 500 Internal Server Error - Server side PERL Script Caching?

Consultant1027

New Pleskian
I've run into an issue where once in a while a CGI script (PERL) starts throwing an Internal Server Error 500.

I verified the script ownership user, group and permissions are correct (domain user, psacln, 755)

I couldn't see any problem with the script so I went in and edited the offending script so that all that is in it is a print statement:

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-type: text/html\n\nHELLO<BR>";

No matter what we name the script it still generates an error 500 while other scripts in the directory are running fine.

We tried running the script for a different browser thinking maybe the browser was caching the page but it also generated the error.

Then we simply stopped and started Apache and it worked fine with NO changes to the script. The script WAS re-saved though as in the past, I've found sometimes my CuteFTP (for whatever reason) saves a script file and uses BINARY when it should use ASCII (or vice versa) and I have to go into the shell and PICO edit the script and just re-save it with no changes. But I did this also in this case before restarting Apache and it didn't fix the error.

This makes it appear as if Apache is caching script execution on the server side but I fail to see how/why it would do that when we are modifying the script!

Again we are using PERL CGI (not mod_PERL) on a Plesk 10.1.1 server. Anyone run into this or have an ideas what would cause it to happen?

Last edited:
Back