• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PHP 5.3 to PHP 5.4 update automatic?

iantresman

Basic Pleskian
After re-enabling Plesk updates automatically, my server recently updated PHP from 5.3 to 5.4, automatically. Is this the expected behaviour, I thought it would update 5.3.x to 5.3.y, only?

I have Plesk updates set to "Automatically install updates for the currently installed Panel version (Recommended)", and also "Automatically install updates for third-party components (such as MySQL and PHPMyAdmin)", but I didn't think this included PHP?

Auto Updates "Automatically install updates for third-party components ..." would install any newly available php versions too depending on the repos you have set ...

It includes EVERYTHING that is managed by Plesk.

You may thank your third-party repository vendor for the automatic update from 5.3 to 5.4.

Not that I know of ..best advice is to disable Auto Updates or you use a REPO with only php 5.3.*!

Is it possible to force the PHP upgrade to occur only with the PHP 5.3.x branch?

Of course it is possible. Since you didn't specify your exact OS version, you can't really expect an exact recipe though.

Basically, something like what you want is achievable via package exclusion/pinning. Exactly what you want (in a general case) can be done via exclusion/pinning of custom built dependency package. In case of PHP and specific repository and next PHP version this might be done significantly easier based on already existing package.

Disabling automatic updates entirely will leave your installation vulnerable, as you probably guessed. You may disable only automatic installation of third-party components such as PHP.

Back