• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PHP 7.0 ->7.0.1 update via MU kills all WP websites

webbing

Basic Pleskian
After updating Plesk from 12.5.30 #15 to #18 (which also updated PHP 7.0 to 7.0.1), all the WordPress websites hosted on the server are displaying a 500 error.

The logs are similar in all the situations

2016-01-05 10:42:20 Error 86.124.185.88 Premature end of script headers: index.php Apache error
2016-01-05 10:42:20 Warning 86.124.185.88 (104)Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server, referer: http://www.domain.com/ Apache error

Any thoughts about this? Everything was working fine on PHP 7.0

I have the same annoying issue. All the WP pages have 500 error. I changed the FASTCGI to the other option in Plesk PHP settings page, then the sites began to respond but if you add / to the end of the address, 500 error still splashes.
There was no problem at 7.0.0, I searched lots of threads but found nothing !

@webbing and @Burak,

Just tried to reproduce the error and the 500 error did not occur with PHP 7.0.1 with either Fastcgi or FPM (served by Apache).

I suppose there is some underlying root cause of the problem, that you both have in common.

If I have to make an educated guess, I would say that you have to adjust settings in order to allow a clean (re)start of the Apache + Fastcgi stack: just switch to FPM and switch back.

The above work-around can help, but I would rather hear from you what

- the specific settings on your domains are,
- the settings for the WordPress instances are, (note: this request is due to the fact that @Burak mentions an issue with pretty permalinks, ending in /).

and, in general, any piece of information would be helping a lot and allow me to help you with the problem.

In short, can you provide me with some specific information?

Regards...

Trialotto,

Thank you for your reply and excuse my late answer.

A couple of comments about my issues

1. first of all, everything was working absolutely perfect on PHP 7.0, the issues have arised only when PHP was updated to 7.0.1 (via Plesk MU)
2. i cannot run any PHP command under 7.0.1, not even a phpinfo()
3. the only possibility to keep the domains functional is to revert PHP to 5.6.16 (via Plesk), FastCGI
4. there are no issues with the permalinks, neither with the file ownership
5. PHP 5.6.16 or PHP 7.0.1 run only as FastCGI under my server

If you need any other specific detail, please let me know.

Many thanks!

@webbing

Two questions: did you try to run PHP 5.6.16 and PHP 7.0.1 with FPM? If so, what are the results? (If not, try it and give some feedback about the results).

Regards....

PS After your tests to answer the above questions, I would strongly advice to use the command line autoinstaller and de-install PHP 7 and re-install PHP 7 afterwards, in order to ascertain that you have a clean (and latest) PHP 7 installation and a Plesk instance that has all the latest micro-updates. From that point on and if still necessary, we can start an investigation into your issues, without having to worry that something is and/or went wrong with the installation. In short, it makes "work" more easy and less biased.

@webbing

Two questions: did you try to run PHP 5.6.16 and PHP 7.0.1 with FPM? If so, what are the results? (If not, try it and give some feedback about the results).

Regards....

PS After your tests to answer the above questions, I would strongly advice to use the command line autoinstaller and de-install PHP 7 and re-install PHP 7 afterwards, in order to ascertain that you have a clean (and latest) PHP 7 installation and a Plesk instance that has all the latest micro-updates. From that point on and if still necessary, we can start an investigation into your issues, without having to worry that something is and/or went wrong with the installation. In short, it makes "work" more easy and less biased.

All the websites are working perfectly with PHP 5.6.16 (FPM) but none work with PHP 7.0.1 (FPM). However, they used to work with PHP 7.0 (FPM).

Am not familiar with the autoinstaller commands to uninstall/reinstall PHP 7, can you help us with this aspect?

Many thanks!

@webbing and @Burak,

Just login with root rights into a SSH console and run: /opt/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller (note: if you cd to the /opt/psa/admin/sbin directory, run ./autoinstaller).

The autoinstaller will take you through the installation process, but some guidelines: after a couple of times pressing "N", select option 12 (just type it) for "Web hosting ... ", option 9 for "PHP interpreter...." and toggle PHP 7 (just press 1 to deselect/select). Proceed as suggested by the autoinstaller.

After deselecting (i.e. de-installing) PHP 7, just start the autoinstaller again and use the same procedure, this time to (re-)install PHP 7.

Regards....

I had the same issue with one page running with WP Super Cache (an other had no problems); after deleting WPSC, installing PHP 7.01 and reinstalling WSP, the page was working again. Perhaps a special constellation of plugins, I dont know.
But from time to time it lost the backend css-styles (with mod_pagespeed running), today I am using WP Rocket - no problems anymore and it is by far faster.
Perhaps this will help a bit.

@Sabine,

Plugins and, in essence, the lack of proper code and/or timely updates of the plugins and/or conflicts with other plugins will cause any WP site to display incorrectly.

However, "a site being killed" is often not the endresult of problems with plugins.

In your case, the general behaviour of cache OR some speficic (and peculiar) cache behaviour by WP Super Cache will cause problems, if the cache is based upon on older PHP version and a new PHP version has been implemented in the meantime: the WP Super Cache gets "confused" (quite an understatement, by the way).

A simple flush of the cache (after implementing PHP 7.0.1) would have been sufficient.

Anyway, I am glad to see that you ended up by not using WP Super Cache (it is not the best plugin), but I would also strongly advice to investigate the limitations of WP Rocket.

Regards....

@trialotto I can not see psa...

[root@server opt]# pwd
/opt
[root@server opt]# dir
drweb kav plesk rh
[root@server opt]# cd plesk
[root@server plesk]# dir
php
[root@server plesk]#

Last edited:
@Sabine,

Plugins and, in essence, the lack of proper code and/or timely updates of the plugins and/or conflicts with other plugins will cause any WP site to display incorrectly.

However, "a site being killed" is often not the endresult of problems with plugins.

In your case, the general behaviour of cache OR some speficic (and peculiar) cache behaviour by WP Super Cache will cause problems, if the cache is based upon on older PHP version and a new PHP version has been implemented in the meantime: the WP Super Cache gets "confused" (quite an understatement, by the way).

A simple flush of the cache (after implementing PHP 7.0.1) would have been sufficient.

Anyway, I am glad to see that you ended up by not using WP Super Cache (it is not the best plugin), but I would also strongly advice to investigate the limitations of WP Rocket.

Regards....

Thank you for the information and the advice

Sabine

@trialotto

I have followed your steps suggested above to uninstall and reinstall PHP 7.0. Unfortunately the problem remains the same and the error for all WP instances remains the same.

2016-01-13 12:54:00 Warning 79.112.44.78 (104)Connection reset by peer: mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server Apache error
2016-01-13 12:54:00 Error 79.112.44.78 Premature end of script headers: index.php Apache error

As I said, everything was functional perfectly on 7.0

Many thanks,

Florian.

Also, there is a slight chance that PHP was updated from 7.0 to 7.0.1 via yum update (before the MU from Plesk appeared). Am not sure if this might raise an issue or not.

@webbing,

You stated (or must I say, admitted?)

Also, there is a slight chance that PHP was updated from 7.0 to 7.0.1 via yum update (before the MU from Plesk appeared). Am not sure if this might raise an issue or not.

and my normal response would be: no, normally it should not affect anything, given the fact that 7.0.1 is simply a bug fixed version of PHP 7.0.

However, you are using CentOS (I presume) and it can be the case that you have been using EPEL, with various endresults or consequences.

It is adviceable by now to remove all PHP 7.x packages via both yum and plesk´s autoinstaller AND re-install PHP 7.0.1 via the autoinstaller afterwards.

That way, we will have a clear canvas for investigation, allowing us (also) to identify potential causes to can be related to the WP instances themselves.

Anyway, it is also adviceable that you do a differential analysis of

- relevant log files, (and)
- working WP instances vs. troublesome WP instances (have a look at plugins, WP version etc.), (and)
- specific characteristics of the the troublesome WP instances,

and so on.

To be honest, if an issue is related to WP, it often is something with WP or the configuration thereof: most people tend to forget to mention that and/or how they customized WP.

If there is nothing peculiar about WP and it´s configuration, it can be the case that something went wrong with PHP 7.0.1 installation or configuration: it certainly is not the PHP package itself, since that package should work like a charm with any WP version greater than 4.3.

I suggest that we focus on creating a fresh and clean install of PHP 7.0.1, in order to exclude the latter possibility (i.e. installation problems) and to focus on WP or PHP configuration.

Regards....

Trialotto,

Thank you for your replies and all the help you provided. I haven't managed to apply your last thoughts (complete uninstall of PHP via epel/Plesk and reinstall) because the last PHP 7.0.2 update applied via yum solved all the issues.

I am not sure what the problem was but definitively applying the update (without changing anything else) solved the issues. I still believe it was a glitch in the PHP 7.0.1 version.

Many thanks,

Florian.

Trialotto,

Thank you for your replies and all the help you provided. I haven't managed to apply your last thoughts (complete uninstall of PHP via epel/Plesk and reinstall) because the last PHP 7.0.2 update applied via yum solved all the issues.

I am not sure what the problem was but definitively applying the update (without changing anything else) solved the issues. I still believe it was a glitch in the PHP 7.0.1 version.

Many thanks,

Florian.

How did you upgrade to 7.0.2?
I have very limited knowledge about using yum. Did you remove 7.0.1 completely?

Can you write the steps briefly please?

Login as root user on your Linux server and run "yum update". All the available libraries will be updated without your intervention.

The latest versions available for PHP are 5.6.17 and 7.0.2.

Back