• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue PHP 7 FPM regularly unresponsive / 503

Connector1

New Pleskian
Hi everyone,

we have recently upgraded one of our servers to Plesk 17 with PHP 7 (provided by OS) and PHP-FPM. While testing everything ran smoothly (as always) but running live we are fighting against regular crashes of PHP-FPM + 503 results from Apache.

I've searched the internet and this forum up and down and can tell you the following:

* Although we have regular "ERROR: unable to read what child say: Bad file descriptor (9)" errors, they don't always cause the crash. Most of the times this error appears everything runs smoothly

* When the crash happens, there is either no error or the one above in the PHP-FPM-Log.

* The vhosts can't reach the socket as soon as the crash happened, which looks like this in their logs:
"(111)Connection refused: AH02454: FCGI: attempt to connect to Unix domain socket /var/www/vhosts/system/[DOMAIN]/php-fpm.sock (*) failed

We've tried raising pm.max_children but that doesn't really seem to make a difference. Also, there's no messages about max_children being reached in any of the vhosts. There was when it was set to 5 but not anymore after raising it. The crashes keep happening, though.

Is there anything else I can check for? Is there something specific that might happen in the code of our websites that could lead to this?

Thanks for any input!

Thank you for your reply. For us, max_children doesn't seem to be the problem. They are never reached and we already tried increasing them.

What I noticed: This always happens the first minutes (up to ~20) after a restart / reload of php-fpm. If it doesn't crash then, it won't later.

Back