• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

PHP and mySQL 5

I would also like to know how to use MySQL 5. I've upgraded to Plesk 8.1.1 which claims to support MySQL 5, but there are no details on how to actually use it. phpMyAdmin is still reporting version 4.

This is going to be a real problem, as I want to migrate a Web app to my server that's been created using a MySQL 5 db, with view, stored procs and foreign keys etc. That's not gonna work on version 4.

Any help would be much appreciated. (Then I've just got to figure out how to upgrade the PHP version).

just install php5 / mysql5 from your distribution and have fun

search the forum, there are many threads about how to do this ...

Originally posted by danliker
just install php5 / mysql5 from your distribution and have fun

search the forum, there are many threads about how to do this ...
It's not really as simple as that. I have searched these forums, and there isn't a simple solution.

I'm running a fc4 x86_64 virtual server from 1and1. I've run through all the updates via Plesk's own updater, so I'm now running 8.1.1

The Plesk desktop claims MySQL 5 support, but offes no way to install it.

I've managed to install yum, but given that the server is running fc4 (for which support has stopped), it reports that there are no updates available.

I really need a way to update to MySQL 5 and PHP 5.1.4 (well, 5.0.5 al least).

This is NOT simple.

I've added the centosplus repo to my yum conf

This is looking reasonaly hopeful, but to be honest, I haven't got a clue as to whether I should be doing this on a fc4 x86_64 server.

The only problem I get when running yum update php now is:
Error: Missing Dependency: php = 5.0.4-10.5.1.swsoft is needed by package php-pear

From what I can see, if this dependency is sorted out, it will install PHP 5.1.6 and mysql 5.0.27 (amongst other things)

Am I on the right lines here, or is this going to screw everything up horribly?

I could do with a few tips here.

Thanks

Yes, they claim that Plesk 8.1.0, and 8.1.1 supports MySQL 5, and PHP 5, but how do we install them? There is no RHEL4 rpm packages with MySQL5, nor with PHP5.

No official SwSoft help on that matter...

:mad:

If you're on CentOS, php 5.1 and mysql5 are in the centosplus channel. If you're on FC5 or above, php 5.1 and mysql 5 come with the distribution by default.

Originally posted by atomicturtle
If you're on CentOS, php 5.1 and mysql5 are in the centosplus channel. If you're on FC5 or above, php 5.1 and mysql 5 come with the distribution by default.

Hi ART,

Thanks for the reply.
I use RHEL4 on my box. I've been investigating ont this, and I can see a RHEL4 version of MySQL 5 on your bleeding channel. Do you know more or less when will be a stable version ?

Ok, I will wait 'till its stable.

Will it be matter of , days?, months?, years?

Thanks again.

How exactly do we do this in reverse? Just reformated and install centos4.3 and got everything installed and am trying to install plesk but get.

Resolve components
ERROR: Impossible do installation while package MySQL-server-5.1.16-0.glibc23.i386 is installed in system
Errors just before:
- Trying to find conflicts dependencies for package mysql-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1.i386
- Unresolved conflict: necessary package mysql-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1.i386 is conflicts with MySQL-server-5.1.16-0.glibc23.i386. There is no upgrade solution or obsoleter for MySQL-server, add to removable list MySQL-server
- Find remove mode solution for package MySQL-server-5.1.16-0.glibc23.i386

ERROR: Installation failed

If plesk supports these it shouldn't be whining abou tthem being defaultly installed. How do I get passed this error?

and atomic-bleeding gives a error so yum cant continue..

MySQL-server-5.1.16-0.glibc23.i386 is not installed by default. Someone had to have grabbed that from the Mysql.com website.

I reported this issue to SWSoft, and they promised to give us more information about PHP5 and MySQL5 support in this thread. So just keep looking

Hi all,

I'm Vitaly Malakhov, Plesk for Unix Support Team Leader. I was asked to leave a comment here, so I've read the thread to see what the question is and would like to clear these things up..

# what does Plesk supports mysql5 and php5 mean

It means that there are no point in Plesk code which conflict with them. In general if you replace mysql4 with mysql5, it does not affect Plesk itself, all the SQL requests Plesk sends to it from any Plesk's place will be processed w/o problems. There are no dependencies which do not allow mysql5 be installed.

As for PHP, note first that we talk about that PHP used by hosted web sites, it is loaded by client copy of apache as module (Plesk panel itself uses separate apache server copy with other compiled-in PHP). If you look into apache configs, you will find there that directives for both php4 and php5 modules are always included. If you replace php4 module with php5 and restart apache, your sites and PHP scripts continue working w/o problems.

# I installed Plesk 8 which supports mysql5 but it installed mysql4 instead

First of all note that neither mysql nor php are part of Plesk, SWsoft does not build its own mysql and php packages, as well as SWsoft does not compile and provide openssl, perl, xinetd and a lot of other system applications used by Plesk. Plesk uses standard services which are installed on the system. If mysql/php are found on the system where Plesk in installed, Plesk will use them. If these installations are not found, Plesk will download and install standard packages of OS vendor from autoinstall.plesk.com.

The same can be said about Virtuozzo installations. Virtuozzo OS templates and application templates are only made by SWsoft as a copy of standard packages from OS vendors.

# is Plesk tested with mysql5/php5

In general Plesk is tested on and oriented to standard OS installations with standard packages from OS vendor. If mysql/php v5 are available from OS vendor, for example in SuSE 10.1 or RedoraCore 5, then it is tested with them. If outdated FedoraCore 1 provides mysql3, then Plesk build for this OS is tested with it. Plesk code is almost identical for any OS and there are no global problems with mysql5 and php5 at 8.x, both of them are supported and should work w/o problems.

# what the exact steps are, to install mysql/php5 on my system

There are no specific recommendations or steps because all the steps are identical to any other application update (a-la recommendation "use `rpm -U` for RedHat-like OSes"). Get package updates from OS vendor and use them. If OS vendor does not provide such packages, then mysql/php v5 you try to find can only be provided by third party. There are hundred custom builds can be found in the world, for example well known http://www.atomicrocketturtle.com is really great source for such updates for many years. Although SWsoft cannot officially guarantee anything for third-party updates, if you get a custom package which fits your OS environment - you will not have problems with it. The most of problems which may appear with them are usually related to dependencies to third or system applications and can be solved accordingly. The advanced admins may even compile from sources.

# despite of all of above I found that Plesk is not compatible to mysql/php v5 I installed

If you find the problem, please report to [email protected] problem description: what you do, where and what kind of error happens plus system details: OS, Plesk version/build, mysql/php builds, where they were taken and so on. If it is found that this is really Plesk issue, it will be corrected in further updates.

Known problems as far as I remember at current moment are:
- mysql may not be reported in Server > Components as installed if custom package is used
- Virtuozzo Plesk template for Centos-4 has dependency problems with php-5 Virtuozzo template for CentOS-4

NOTE FOR PLESK FOR FreeBSD USERS: I'm really sorry, but Plesk dependencies bound to mysql4 there. Although Plesk itself may work with mysql5, admin apache copy is linked to libmysqlclient.so.14. It is possible to manually install mysql5 ignoring all the dependencies but I would not recommend this it for a while, it is going to be corrected and I hope will be done soon.

I think what you're running into here is that other 3rd party packages are installed on the system. Specifically using the MySQL.com 5.1 rpms. 5.0 is officially supported, whereas 5.1 is still a beta that MySQL.com doesnt even recommend running in production. Given that its a newer release, theres no way to package around that cleanly.

Getting that off the system is a fair bit of trouble, probably involving some --nodeps removals.

For everyone running RHEL4, I highly recommend installing yum and configuring the centosplus channel if you'd like to use MySQL 5 or PHP 5.1.

I intend on supporting Mysql 5.0, and PHP 5.2 in [atomic], however I dont want to push those in yet because of the problems it will cause for the PSA 7.5 and 8.0 users.

Originally posted by atomicturtle
For everyone running RHEL4, I highly recommend installing yum and configuring the centosplus channel if you'd like to use MySQL 5 or PHP 5.1.

What exactly does this mean? What is and where does one get "yum"? What do you mean by configuring a centoplus channel? I've worked with and even administered Unix (Solaris, SunOS and AIX) in the past, but this terminology is a complete mystery to me. FWIW, I'm running Virtuozzo VPS on CentOS 4.2 with Plesk 8.1.0. All I want to do is upgrade MySQL to version 5.0 or later, and PHP 5.1 or later (mostly for security purposes, though some features are desired as well).

Just wondering if anyone has found a php 5.1.x or 5.2.x package for fedora core 4 x86_64

What would be the possible drawbacks of compiling and installing php from source (isn't the ./configure string supplied in phpinfo();?)

Back