• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question PHP by OS vendor uninstallation

Servus

Basic Pleskian
Hi,
yesterday I read about users who want to use Plesk17.9 by upgrade or fresh installation have to delete PHP7 by OS vendor. Then I wanted to do this step just now to be prepared for the future. I don't use PHP by OS vendor at all for webhosting.
By opening updates/upgrades panel and trying to start I was shocked how many services use or are in conflict with PHP by OS vendor. Around 10 services were marked for deletion/uninstallation with the most important core services PLESK, Firewall, Letsencrypt, Mail, Wordpress, Fail2ban, and more.
The most important is Plesk. As I remember PHP by OS vendor was NOT pre-installed/activated in my fresh installation last year. Or am I wrong?
PHP by OS vendor is marked as outdated but seems to be used by the whole system? How is this possible?

PHP by OS vendor is used by Plesk utilities, so the removal can break Plesk installation.

Hi,
thank you for answering. I asked the question in the wrong direction.
For the reason that PHP by OS vendor is used by webmails and other services I wonder why it is marked as outdated. And also, why in Plesk upgrades panel the PHP by OS vendor uninstall routine is suggesting to uninstall the important service PHP by OS vendor (also unistalling PLESK and around 7 other important services, too)?
It's impossible to uninstall it. It would be the same as sitting on a tree and cutting the tree at the same time. But the software gives the possibility to do it.
Perhaps it would be better to disallow it to not break the system?

@Servus Dependence on the OS vendor's PHP developed historically. Attempting to delete it shows you serious warning of the consequences and shows a list of what will be removed with it. It works by analogy with packet type managers like rpm or apt.
In Plesk version 17.9, we finally completely got rid of this long-standing dependence on the vendor's PHP version. Webmail service works there on Plesk PHP 7.3 version.

@IgorG

Thx for the Reply.

I use Plesk Onyx Version 17.8.11 Update #41 on Centos. If go to Updates & Upgrades - Add / Remove Components - Webhosting - PHP Interpreter versions i see that still Version PHP 5 from OS vendor is activated.

When i try to remove the PHP 5 Version i get the following warning from Plesk, and all the shown Extensions will be removed:

PHP5_Vendor_Extensions_Plesk.png

PHP_Interpreter.JPG

When will the Extensions be working with new PHP Versions, so i can get rid of the old PHP 5 Version without breaking the functionalities?

Thx
Sally

Tried to remove PHP5 from OS vendor on Plesk 17.9
No any warnings and component was removed without any problems:

Screenshot 2019-02-26 at 11.58.25.png

Hello, seems like in Obsidian the old outdated php is still alive :)

Attachments

• obsidian.JPG
    obsidian.JPG
    370.8 KB · Views: 31
It can be, if you want it to be.

Please note, just because Plesk marks the OS level PHP as "outdated", it doesn't necessarily mean that it is indeed outdated. As long as your OS is supported and updated, the OS level PHP is also supported and updated. Vendors such as Red Hat backport updates to OS packages, don't be mislead by the seemingly old release versions. Long term support is one of the main reasons for using such an OS in the first place.

Hi i have the same problem @IgorG
I have Plesk Obsidian Installed.

This version can not be uninstalled. Plesk Installer refuses.
How can it be that such an ancient version is included?
How can I install version 7?

If i want to install PHP from OS vendor inside Update / Upgrade ---> Plesk would like to delete almost all Packages. I need that for Plesk Premium Mail because without that , Plesk Premium Mail dont working.

Here: Unable to access Plesk Premium Email on Plesk Obsidian: Internal Server Error

Last edited:
Have solved it by my own with that Resolution under Plesk Obsidian.
  1. Log into the server via SSH.
  2. Execute the command:
    /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/autoinstaller --select-release-current --install-component phpgroup

Back