• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved PHP Configuration not applying to subscription

AndreasY

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

as per this thread

https://talk.plesk.com/threads/edit-php-configuration-upload_max_filesize.333731/

Does this problem still exisit in Plesk 12.5.30 Update #40 ?

We have just updated from Plesk 12.0.18 latest update to 12.5.30 Update #40 and the phpinfo for the subscription is showing the correct values

i.e.
PHP Version 5.6.23
max_execution_time
Local Value: 5760
Master Value: 60

But still our script errors out with

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\domain.com\httpdocs\ blah blah blah blah

We are really getting tired of these issues, we upgraded because of 'improved' PHP support, but still the same issues persist with PHP.

Is this really still an ongoing 'design feature' or can we fix this ?

Thanks

Thanks for your response, would be nice to hear from a 'Plesk Representative' what is meant to be happening.

Would have thought this would be such a simple thing for them to confirm or not, but looking at the lack of a response from a representative any person reading this can make up there own mind if they know or not!

Looks like they (Odin) want us to pay them to find out how their software is intended to work

:-(

Hi AndreasY,

Plesk is very well documented. You may find for example:

PHP Management ( Plesk 12.5 online documentation )

which points to the facts:

Inheriting PHP settings
Note that in Plesk local settings override global ones. This means that, for example, settings defined on the subscription level take precedence over those defined on the service plan level, but are, in turn, overridden by those defined on the domain level.

Note: If you change the PHP settings for a subscription, the subscription will be locked for sync unless the subscription owner has the necessary permissions to make the changes you made.

This scheme illustrates the hierarchy, from the topmost level to the bottom:

75148.png

Does this answer your questions?

Hi AndreasY,

Plesk is very well documented. You may find for example:

Does this answer your questions?
Hi UFHH01,

thanks for providing a response, I have read that document but from what we are seeing our Plesk 12.5 install is not adhering to what is written in that document, thats if I have understood correctly.

Just so you can confirm that I have understood the document correctly (or not) I will illustrate an example below of a setup using the Plesk PHP hierarchy you have posted, then if you could be so kind please provide and answer to what we should be seeing as a result of the example below.

Server Wide PHP 7.0.8 setting - max_execution_time = 60
Service Plan PHP 5.3.29 setting - max_execution_time = 60
Subscription PHP 7.0.8 setting - max_execution_time = 3600

We run a script on a domain that has on its subscription PHP 7.0.8 layer a max execution time of 3600 seconds.

Please note, the domain is running under a service plan that has PHP 5.3.29 defined.

What do you expect the max execution time to be 60 seconds or 3600 seconds ?

Please provide an answer to the above question, as I have other questions that are dependant on your answer.

Thanks

PS, wish we didnt have to post negative comments in threads to get a response from Plesk representatives. Really loath having to do that

:-(

** EDIT **

Sorry just wanted to add, our understanding that the max execution time should be 3600 seconds is based on this

Inheriting PHP settings
Note that in Plesk local settings override global ones. This means that, for example, settings defined on the subscription level take precedence over those defined on the service plan level, but are, in turn, overridden by those defined on the domain level.

From the document linked by UFHH01

Last edited:
Hi AndreasY,

What do you expect the max execution time to be 60 seconds or 3600 seconds ?
The domain - specific settings should be "max_execution_time = 3600"... BUT ( !!! - as you see, there is always a possibility, which could result in an unexpected issue! ^^ ), pls. check your domain - specific php.ini, to confirm, that your changes reached the domain - specific php.ini. The path to the ini - files are stored at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PHP\Per Directory Values\C\Inetpub\vhosts\<DOMAIN NAME>\httpdocs" and a "phpinfo" - file, may be as well a good solution, to inspect the current domain - specific settings.

There are several reasons, why a subscription - plan was not setup correctly, according to your settings over the Plesk Control Panel - for such issues, it is wise to inspect the psa - log - files, so that investigations for such an issue may be investigated. Guessing is mostly the wrong way to get to the root cause of an issue.
Sometimes, it is as well a good idea to use the debug - log, to get more informations:

Pls. consider as well to inspect the "Windows Event viewer" and the domain - specfic logs, located at "%plesk_vhosts%\<domain>\logs\W3SVC<SITE ID>" for possible issues.

Hi,

thanks for your answer (are you a Plesk employee or just a forum user ?)

For the domain in question, have had a look at the things you pointed out

1/ The registry is showing the correct values
2/ phpinfo is also showing correct values

Will have to setup a different domain to troubleshoot these issues, the most frustrating thing is that we are not alone with this issue and our experiences with Plesk staff through the ticket system have been not so good.

We had one major issue (Plesk CP not synching with Microsoft DNS) with Plesk a while back, and Plesk support staff insisted there was an issue with our server. I did so many things to prove to them that there was nothing wrong with the server and that the issue was caused by one of the Plesk updates, but no they kept saying the same things, that we had to do bare metal install then reinstall Plesk.

And they kept saying this even though I could see that almost each time a Plesk update was released, the files that were causing the issue were being updated, so it was clear to see Plesk knew there was an issue but would not admit to it (this is very bad business practise IMHO) !!

Anyhow, long story short, after a few months passed (I had found a time consuming way to work my way round the issue) out of the blue the problem was gone. Looked that Plesk had totally changed the way they were doing the synching.

Now imagine how I felt, here was a product we had paid for and we were being told to do a bare metal install and start from scratch for nothing! That is wrong.

Hence my reason my frustrations as we have a long outstanding issue with PHP settings not correctly applying to a domain, and we have no real way of knowing how to properly troubleshoot this for ourselves.

And why should we pay to have a Plesk support staff have a look and then tell us we have a problem with our server and to reinstall ................

So if you have any sort of guidelines on what I should be looking out for (because the stuff you suggest I check looks like we shouldnt have a problem) would be very happy to hear it.

And just like most people, I dont have an infinite amount of time to spend on this, which should just work! After all the marketing information pushed by Odin re improved PHP support blah blah and we cant do the most basic of things.

Oh almost forgot to say, only if we use PHP 5.2/5.3 are the correct PHP settings being applied to the domain and if you checked the first link I posted, it is the same issue that those people were having and the answer was only PHP versions that were shipped with Plesk install would adhere to the PHP domain settings.

But no Plesk representative stepped in to say if that information was correct or not and to this day we still dont know and we are not alone with regards to this.

OK, just posting back so the info is available in the forums,

our issue was due to an issue that seems to be only effecting Windows based systems, Wordpress and when using PHP versions higher than 5.3.

Basically

Milan George | Technical Support Engineer - Plesk said:
The issue was due to the below value set in the "C:\Inetpub\vhosts\domain.com\httpdocs\wp-includes\wp-includes\deprecated.php".

+++
@set_time_limit ( 60 );
+++

The above value was over riding the PHP version value.

I went ahead and increased the value to 3600. Now, the entry looks like below.

+++
@set_time_limit ( 3600 );
+++

After this operation, I am able to complete the import option from the WordPress admin panel as you mentioned.

I referred the below URL to fix the issue.

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/...e-of-60-seconds-exceeded-in-h-wamp-www-custom

I wouldnt have found this issue myself as I was being thrown due to the fact that PHP 5.2/5.3 were working normally, add to this that prior to Plesk 12.5 people were posting they were having issues with PHP settings not applying properly to domains etc.

Credit where it is due, thanks for the support, this time I am pleasantly suprised

:)

Back