• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Issue PHP seems to sleep when Website has no visitors

yemindo

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 11.5
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.47 Update #5
Hello,

probably for performance reasons, the server setting is
such that PHP is in sleep mode when the site has no visitors.

As a result, the response time of the website is 0.26 s
for the first call and 0.03 s for the second call.

In my Process List I can see that only when I visit my
site sitecolor.de a php-fpm application is started.

How can I make it so that the web page always runs?

1667162974476.png

Maybe try "static", but be aware that you will have to carefully pick the server values for it, because that's what the server will "always" deliver. It must not be too low, but it also must not be too high. And it is very difficult to determine the sweet spot.

Hello Peter,

thank you very much for the help. I have now set it to Static. At 1024M memory_limit there are over 30 processes running.

There is still a dymamic option. I have applied the following settings:

pm.start_servers 1
pm.min_spare_servers 1
pm.max_spare_servers 100

If I understand this correctly, there is always at least 1 process running and as more users join the site, another process switches on.

Would you rather recommend static or dynamic?

Many greetings

I'd recommend "on demand" and rather accept that for that very first user a few milliseconds extra time are spent. The other options are risky.

As a result, the response time of the website is 0.26 s
for the first call and 0.03 s for the second call.
Are you sure this is even a problem on the server side, and that the second call is not just faster because the client already has most of the site's files cached from the first run?

Back