• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

php too many open files needs recompile?

T

tolis

Hi to everyone
i have been having a problem for some days in te file descriptors for the system.
Some websites return an error too many open files and i need to know if there is a safe way to increase the limit from 1024 to higher without recompiling apache etc.
For your info if i give as root
/usr/sbin/lsof -Pn |sed "s/^[^ ]* *[^ ]* *\([^ ]*\) .*$/\1/" |sort |uniq -c |sort -n -r |less

the result is

27122 apache
3197 root
561 psaadm
472 drweb
282 popuser
180 mysql
88 postgres
84 tomcat4
69 named
58 sa2018
40 webers
38 qmaild
15 rpcuser
14 qmails
12 rpc
10 daemon
8 qmaill
7 qmailr
7 qmailq

thnks in advance

Unfortunately you have to rebuild apache, and many many other things. Here is SWsoft's KB article on the issue:

http://kb.swsoft.com/article_41_260_en.html

One thing that is omitted is you should also rebuilding mysqld, as the client libraries would also be affected and since they are running in the same process space as apache they would cause core dumps if you do not rebuild. There was someone recently who followed the article but was having issues due to this reason.

PostgreSQL client would also be affected, if you are using the PostgreSQL database or any other database. Basically anything that uses select() and can be dynamically linked into Apache via runtime modules would have to be rebuilt.

Back