1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

php too many open files needs recompile?

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by tolis, Dec 13, 2006.

1. tolis

tolis Guest

Hi to everyone
    i have been having a problem for some days in te file descriptors for the system.
    Some websites return an error too many open files and i need to know if there is a safe way to increase the limit from 1024 to higher without recompiling apache etc.
    For your info if i give as root
    /usr/sbin/lsof -Pn |sed "s/^[^ ]* *[^ ]* *\([^ ]*\) .*$/\1/" |sort |uniq -c |sort -n -r |less

the result is

27122 apache
    3197 root
    561 psaadm
    472 drweb
    282 popuser
    180 mysql
    88 postgres
    84 tomcat4
    69 named
    58 sa2018
    40 webers
    38 qmaild
    15 rpcuser
    14 qmails
    12 rpc
    10 daemon
    8 qmaill
    7 qmailr
    7 qmailq

thnks in advance

2. wagnerch

wagnerch Guest

Unfortunately you have to rebuild apache, and many many other things. Here is SWsoft's KB article on the issue:

http://kb.swsoft.com/article_41_260_en.html

One thing that is omitted is you should also rebuilding mysqld, as the client libraries would also be affected and since they are running in the same process space as apache they would cause core dumps if you do not rebuild. There was someone recently who followed the article but was having issues due to this reason.

PostgreSQL client would also be affected, if you are using the PostgreSQL database or any other database. Basically anything that uses select() and can be dynamically linked into Apache via runtime modules would have to be rebuilt.