• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue pki-validation folder returns 404 on new server

MarkDale

New Pleskian
Hello Folks,

I have just migrated to a new Plesk Obsidian server.
All is going well except when I try to browse to any file in the /.well-known/pki-validation/ folder I get a 404 error.
Files in /.well-known/ load fine.
The errors in the Logs are below
1639304796181.png

The behaviour is the same across all sites in all subscriptions - so I assume is some server configuration / permission setting that I have missed - but can't find anything in settings or any related problems on chat forums.

Any help sincerely welcome.

Thanks!

@Jose Isla ,

It may look foolish but,
would you please try to create the same verification file under/var/www/vhosts/default/htdocs/.well-known/pki-validation/youfile.txt and try to verify it once again?

Note: If the folder does not exist /var/www/vhosts/default/htdocs/.well-known/pki-validation please crete it

root cause: use-common-challenge-dir

Many thanks for teh response - I will test it shortlly
@Jose Isla ,

It may look foolish but,
would you please try to create the same verification file under/var/www/vhosts/default/htdocs/.well-known/pki-validation/youfile.txt and try to verify it once again?

Note: If the folder does not exist /var/www/vhosts/default/htdocs/.well-known/pki-validation please crete it

Many thanks for the response, I will test it shortly.

It seems to present a challenge, as not all site owners will have access to this directory.

I notice the comment at the foot of your reply that states root cause: use-common-challenge-dir

From my limited research this seems to be a Let's Encrypt setting - which I imagine would affect the acme-challenge directory.

Could it affect the pki-validation directory as well? And should we be finding this setting and changing it to false?

Many thanks again for your help with this

Mark

Hello Folks,

I have just migrated to a new Plesk Obsidian server.
All is going well except when I try to browse to any file in the /.well-known/pki-validation/ folder I get a 404 error.
Files in /.well-known/ load fine.
The errors in the Logs are below
View attachment 19898

The behaviour is the same across all sites in all subscriptions - so I assume is some server configuration / permission setting that I have missed - but can't find anything in settings or any related problems on chat forums.

Any help sincerely welcome.

Thanks!
Did you fix it?

Exactly the same issue
Files in /.well-known/ works

But
Files in /.well-known/pki-validation
404 Not Found
nginx

@Jose Isla ,

It may look foolish but,

Tried it but it didn't work.

In my case it happened after i enabled extension sectigo.
Disable extension sectigo or remove sectigo config in special domain 's nginx conf. Restart nginx with "service nginx restart" command.

Ex: /etc/nginx/plesk.conf.d/vhosts/yourdomain.conf
#extension sectigo begin
location ^~ /.well-known/pki-validation/fileauth.txt {
try_files $uri $uri/ =404;
}

location ^~ /.well-known/pki-validation/ {
root /var/www/vhosts/default/htdocs;

types { }
default_type text/plain;

satisfy any;
auth_basic off;
allow all;

location ~ ^/\.well-known/pki-validation.*/\. {
deny all;
}
}
#extension sectigo end

Hi,

This is usually an issue with the Sectigo SSL exension. Sectigo SSL extension is blocking any web request to get to files under /.well-known/pki-validation.

To solve that, login to Plesk, go to the Extensions tab, select My Extensions and disable Sectigo SSL extension.

Disabling the extension doesn't recreate the server configuration file, in which the problematic lines are stored. So you will need te recreate the webserver configuration for the concerned domain(s). To do so, login to your Plesk server using SSH and run the following command (make sure to login with an account that allow you to use the Plesk CLI) :

plesk repair web -server example.com
where example.com is the domain name with the validation issue.

Files under /.well-known/pki-validation should now be accessible.

Hi,

This is usually an issue with the Sectigo SSL exension. Sectigo SSL extension is blocking any web request to get to files under /.well-known/pki-validation.

To solve that, login to Plesk, go to the Extensions tab, select My Extensions and disable Sectigo SSL extension.

Disabling the extension doesn't recreate the server configuration file, in which the problematic lines are stored. So you will need te recreate the webserver configuration for the concerned domain(s). To do so, login to your Plesk server using SSH and run the following command (make sure to login with an account that allow you to use the Plesk CLI) :

where example.com is the domain name with the validation issue.

Files under /.well-known/pki-validation should now be accessible.
Hi - thank you very much. This worked for me.

I don't know if anyone from Plesk ever reads these forums but I would just say - did you test this? did you know about this? was it deliberate? i can't speak for others but this issue cost me 2 hours. Using this folder seems pretty standard. yet it is blocked out of the box in a mysterious way. Today I had one of those surveys pop up - would you recommend Plesk? No. How could I?

The answer seems to be the one provided by jmcouillard above

hello everyone.

there are possible workarounds below:
  • Disable common challenge dir

plesk ext sslit --common-challenge-dir -disable

• Use explicit additional Nginx directive in Apache & nginx Settings of the domain, something like

location = /.well-known/pki-validation/ {
    alias /var/www/vhosts/<your_domainSpaceDir_here>/httpdocs/.well-known/pki-validation/;
    }

Back