• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Please limit favicon setting to a normal favicon.ico, do not require .svg version

Bitpalast

Plesk addicted!
Plesk Guru
The new "favicon" option in branding requires both, a standard .ico file that everybody has or can have, but also a non-standard .svg version of the ico-file. This renders the function useless for most users. Moreover, it is no longer possible to "overwrite" the favicon.ico on disk, because now the page always requires an .svg version, too. If people don't have an .svg version or - as in our case - cannot easily create one, they are forced to use the default Plesk icon where they were previously able to simply use their own favicon.ico file.

In our case, the year long habit of using a logo favicon.ico file for Plesk does not work any longer and we cannot replace it with a new solution unless we newly (and costly) design the favicon as a vector graphic.

That should be changed. It should be possible to only stick with one of the two formats. I am pretty sure that most people will have the same issue, because most won't have the appropriate favicon.svg file at hand.

I tried some online converters, but they all turned out with a bad result. Unusable, although my favicon only consists of one background color and a few straight black lines/rectangles.

So finally I went with a guy on Fiverr who did the conversion into different file formats, including svg, within 15 minutes from ordering ;-) Just in case someone needs it, his screen name is "designerabd".

Hi guys,

Different browsers on different devices (Windows/IOS/Android on PC/tablets/smartphones) prefer a favicon in different formats and sizes (16x16, 32x32, 48x48, 180x180, and even 512x512 px). After a research on our side, we decided that a minimal set of files is .ICO- and .SVG-files; this set covers most cases which could face users of Plesk: the .ICO-file for legacy browsers, vector .SVG-file for all other cases.

If you want to change default favicon, using these two files allows to be sure that the end customer will see your logo instead of default Plesk logo (exists in SVG format since Q2 2020) in optimal resolution and quality (another benefit of the SVG favicon is it looks better in dark/light modes than just .ICO-file). To avoid incidents when people see different favicons in various conditions, we decided to mark two of these files as required in Plesk Web-interface.

If I have not convinced you that using favicon in .SVG- and .ICO-formats together is preferable than just updating one .ICO-file, there is a simple workaround via CLI. The workaround is quite similar updating favicon existing before Plesk Obsidian 18.0.45, you need to upload .ICO-file to the Plesk server with specific name and it will be saved permanently: branding: Custom Page Title, Logo, and Favicon .... but as I mentioned above, some customers may see default Plesk logo on modern devices / on modern browsers and I would not recommend it for everyone.

P.S. Unfortunately, there is no good ways to convert existing .ICO-files to good .SVG-file because these formats based on really different ideas/algorithms (pixels vs. vectors) of saving images. Technically, it is possible to convert .SVG to .ICO but you have to have .SVG for that first.

I've tried the URL below but this does not work anymore - favicon file is note being replaced even via CLI.

Any other workaround for this?
Try to place the .svg file into /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/images and the .ico file into /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs (copy operation in the file system).

Thanks @Peter Debik - did that and works just fine - one question.

- I see the SVG file now on my browser instead of the ICO file - anyway the ICO is the default one?

Thanks.

I have Plesk instances with Plesk Obsidian 18.0.45 Update #1 that have this "issue".

Other Plesk instances running Plesk Obsidian 18.0.44 Update #3 work just fine without this "issue".

Can the branding within Plesk dashboard be made so it allows either one instead of both ICO and SVG?

Thanks.

Back