• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 10.4.4 Windows & MySQL 4.1.22-community-nt - is SSL supported or not?

burnleyvic

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

On a Windows 2008R2 64bit server running 10.4.4 I'm trying to enable SSL connections for the MySQL instance used by Plesk, the one installed in c:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\MySQL\, but haven't been successful so far. I've added the following entries in c:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\MySQL\Data\my.ini:
ssl
ssl-ca=c:\\work\ssl\\host07.quick.net.au_ca-cert.pem
ssl-cert=c:\\work\ssl\\host07.quick.net.au_server-cert.pem
ssl-key=c:\\work\\ssl\\host07.quick.net.au_server-key.pem
Plesk MySQL service couldn't be restarted after this, sending this error message to the Event Viewer:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\MySQL\bin\mysqld-nt.exe: unknown option '--ssl'
When running C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\Plesk\MySQL\bin\mysqld-nt.exe --verbose --help there's no ssl option displayed, compared to the other MySQL version installed, 5.1, where ssl options appear in the listing.
Question: is openssl supported in the MySQL 4.1.22-community-nt version, as shipped with Plesk? If yes, how can it be enabled? If no, what options do I have, excluding workarounds like vpn, stunnel etc?

If I correctly understood you have tried to enable SSL connection for admin's but not client's MySQL. Admin's MySQL is based on mysql-essential-4.1.22-win32.msi and seems does not support SSL. Also Plesk does not support operation with admin's MySQL through SSL connection.
Could you please clarify for what purpose you need SSL connection for admin's MySQL?

Igor,

this is correct, I'm talking about 4.1.22 version used for the psa database. Why do we need remote access into 4.1.22? For some custom features and what we need isn't currently supported by the Plesk API.

We just use vendor's build and if vendor does not support SSL then we doesn't support it too.
You can use some scripts for your custom features and these scripts can be executed remotely.

Is there any specific reason why plesk for windows uses a separate DB instance for itself. Unlike on Linux installs where a single mysql instance runs both by default?

Plesk for Windows can use other database engines - MSSQL, for example. Plesk for Linux can use only one MySQL engine. I suppose that it is the main reason.

Back