• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 11.5 Dns Problem First Time install

RadhouaneW

New Pleskian
Hi,

I’m new to this forum and new to plesk.

I have received my vps with Plesk 11.5.30 & OS: CentOS 6.4 (Final)

host : vpsxxxxx.ovh.net

Ok now i would like to manage dns template setting for my server and i found this information already created or generated when plesk was installed:

Server > DNS TEMPLATE:
View attachment 7639

i didn’t understand anything but i searched on the net so i understand that's a global DNS template and all <domain> and <ip> stuff will be replaced when adding a domain name on my vps.

Ok now to work with my vps i was trying to find how to point a domain that i own with host1plus to my vps.

So i guessed it was vpsxxxx.ovh.net and sdns2.ovh.net these are my dns i think.

i putted them on host1plus but this is what happened:

Error "nRRPResponseCode 531" most likely means there is something wrong with provided name servers. Make sure they are registered by top level registry and there is no mistake made in the name servers itself.

So The server config DNS Template is incorrect:
View attachment 7639

1. How can i fix it?
  2. What record i should add?
  3. how can i create dns so i can change dns setting for my domain name registered with host1plus
  4. how can i setup a primary dns and secondary dns into my vps without having any domain name yet ( I have also only 1 ip on the server)

EDIT: after talking to host1plus this is what they said:

Dear Customer,

sdns2.ovh.net works, but our registrar is stating vpsxxxxx.ovh.net is not proper. I have added the secondary nameserver for you now only

and they said there is problem on vpsxxxxx.ovh.net.

Now i added my domain name w****ing.com to my vps i can now see it on plesk.

Here is the dns setting:

View attachment 7640

There is nothing, like i see on the internet, something like ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com ns and 1 record.

I’m completely out of the game right now many things and i don’t know if this is wrong or correct.

Another thing please:

1. Is it important to create nameserver record ? ns1 and ns2 stuff ?
  2. How after that can i create rDns on my domain name ? or on my Server global configuration.
  3. How can i install openDkim using plesk 11.5.30 with CentOS 6.4
  4. and How can i Create a valid Hello message in my email header when sending an email using my domain name w***ing.com

I know it's a lot of question and information here but i was doing research all over the net for more than 5 days i have many information and I’m confused and i would like to have cleaned information about all of this.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any answer it's much appreciated :)

So i guessed it was vpsxxxx.ovh.net and sdns2.ovh.net these are my dns i think.

To use these nameservers, you must have them first registered at the registry! Otherwise, you can register your own with your own domain name eg

ns1.yourdomain.com => pointing to the first IP of your VPS
ns2.yourdomain.com => pointing to the second IP of your VPS (if you have any)

Then only you can use those nameservers for the rest of your domains hosted on your VPS.

NB: Nameserver registration should be a FREE service (at least for the highest percentage of registrars)

To use these nameservers, you must have them first registered at the registry! Otherwise, you can register your own with your own domain name eg

ns1.yourdomain.com => pointing to the first IP of your VPS
ns2.yourdomain.com => pointing to the second IP of your VPS (if you have any)

I have only one IP is it possible to point the 2 namserver on 1 IP
ANd i shouuld config this namserver where ? on the global server template for my vps vpsxxxx.ovh.net ?
or in my new domain we*****ing.com ?

And if i do that i mean register my own NS it will be recognized in host1plus ?

so i have to ask OVH to register my namserver vpsxxxxx.ovh.net the other on it's the second DNS for ovh we us it as second dns all over our Dedicates server or vps.

ANd please can i have answer on the other question ?

View attachment 7639

How can i fix it?
What record i should add?
how can i create dns so i can change dns setting for my domain name registered with host1plus
how can i setup a primary dns and secondary dns into my vps without having any domain name yet ( I have also only 1 ip on the server)

Another thing please:

Is it important to create nameserver record ? ns1 and ns2 stuff ?
How after that can i create rDns on my domain name ? or on my Server global configuration.
How can i install openDkim using plesk 11.5.30 with CentOS 6.4
and How can i Create a valid Hello message in my email header when sending an email using my domain name w***ing.com

Nameservers are registered at your registry (This is the place where you registered your .com domain name) and not necessarily your host.

abdi i can't understand what you said.

and is it possible to have answer to the other question ? please i keep asking and without any answer.

Thank's

Does this help?
[This work is my copyright and may NOT be copied/used on another site without my permission. If I see it, or a derivative of it, anywhere else I will be very annoyed and will take the appropriate steps].

DNS and Plesk – a quick overview

If you want to use your Plesk server as a DNS server for some or all of the domains you host on your server, you need to set things up correctly in order to get things to work. This document gives you a brief overview of the required steps.
1) Create “nameservers†(e.g. ns1.your-domain.tld and ns2.your-domain.tld)

Technically, what you are doing here is actually creating “glue†records that help the Internet at large find the IPs for your nameservers.
Please be aware that using ns1 and ns2 is simply a convention. You can use any characters that are valid for domain names. E.g. foo.your-domain.tld and bar.your-domain.tld.

Creating these glue records is done via the domain name registrar for your-domain.tld and not in Plesk. It involves specifying your nameserver names (e.g. ns1 and ns2) and their corresponding IP addresses (which must point to your Plesk server. If you only have one IP address, use the same IP for both ns1 and ns2, although this is not an optimal configuration.

To achieve this, login to your registrar’s control panel and look for the section that allows you to create “nameserver host records†or “nameserver glue records†or something similar to this. Trying to figure out where exactly you need to go in your registrar’s control panel is probably the most difficult part of the process. Contact your registrar’s support department if need be.

WARNING: Do not confuse creating nameserver host/glue records with editing the domain’s DNS records (most registrars offer DNS facilities for when the customer does not want to have DNS for a domain handled elsewhere). Editing DNS records is a totally separate thing, and will normally be in a different part of the control panel to creating nameserver host/glue records.

2) With your nameservers created, you now need to edit the DNS settings in Plesk for your-domain.tld. Specifically:

a. Create two A records, one pointing ns1 to the same IP as you specified for ns1 in Step 1, and another pointing ns2 to the same IP as you specified for ns2 in Step 1.
b. Delete any existing NS records
c. Add two NS records: ns1.your-domain.tld and ns2.your-domain.tld

3) Edit the DNS Template in Plesk (Tools & Settings > DNS Template) to add ns1.your-domain.tld and ns2.your-domain.tld to all domains you create from now on. To do this:

a. Remove all existing template lines involving NS records (usually there is just one)
b. Remove all existing template lines involving PTR records (usually two, one for ipv4 and one for ipv6)
c. Click on Add DNS Record, select NS from drop-down. Leave first box blank. Enter ns1.your-domain.tld in second box.
d. Repeat Step 3c but this time enter ns2.your-domain.tld in the second box.
e. Click on OK/Apply and read what it says on the page – you would normally not want to make changes to existing DNS records on your server, you only want to make changes to new ones. However, you may decide you want to make changes to existing records as well – if you do, note that it can make a mess if you aren’t careful!

From now on, all domains you create will have ns1.your-domain.tld and ns2.your-domain.tld added as NS records by default – you don’t need to make any manual changes at all.

Note that in Step 3b, you removed the PTR records from the Template. This is because you should not have more than one PTR per IP address. You therefore might want to manually add a PTR to ONE domain (usually the main domain) for each IP address (shared or exclusive). This should point the IP to the main domain.

4) Associate (set to use) your newly created ns1.your-domain.tld and ns2.your-domain.tld nameservers with your-domain.tld (i.e. the same domain) in order for Plesk to handle DNS for that domain as well as any others. You do this via the domain name registrar’s control panel. Unlike creating nameserver host/glue records, how to associate nameservers with a domain is usually quite obvious and is usually found under a heading like “nameserversâ€.

5) Run a test on your-domain.tld using one of the many DNS testing websites, such as dnsreport.com and make sure you get no fatal errors (some minor errors are inevitable – you just won’t want anything that will stop everything from working). Do a double-check bt making sure your-domain.tld website and email works.

6) Finally, associate your newly created ns1.your-domain.tld and ns2.your-domain.tld nameservers with another domain you are hosting and want to have Plesk handle the DNS for. As mentioned before, you do this via the domain name registrar’s control panel. Unlike creating nameserver host/glue records, how to associate nameservers with a domain is usually quite obvious and is usually found under a heading like “nameserversâ€. Again some testing is a good idea before you make changes to any more domains.

NOTES:
A) If you have a client who wants you to host their website but not their email on your server, as well as manually changing A and possibly MX records in the DNS for the domain in Plesk to point to their mailserver’s IP, you MUST also switch off the mail service for their domain in Plesk. (Open domain in Control panel, click on Mail tab, click on Settings, remove tick from Activate mail service). WARNING: Domains like this must be on their own in their own Subscription with no other domains because switching off the mail service for a domain in a Subscription switches it off for all domains in the Subscription too – indeed, this setting is only available in the primary (first) domain in a Subscription.

B) This document describes using your Plesk box as both ns1 and ns2 (ideally on different IPs but with both pointing to your Plesk box). Technically, you should really have totally separate nameservers on totally different networks (e.g. ns1 can be your plesk box but then ns2 should be on a different server on a different network and maybe in a different country) and as a result you will see some warnings or errors when using a DNS test service. You can improve your DNS resiliency and remove thse errors/warnings by using the services of one of the many companies that offer secondary DNS services. It is even possible to set up a second Plesk box to act as a secondary DNS server. How to do this is beyond the scope of this document.

This is the first draft of this document. There may be errors or omissions in it. Corrections and suggestions for improvements would be welcome.

Thank you Faris Raouf for this explanation it become more clear but not totaly:

1) Create “nameservers†(e.g. ns1.your-domain.tld and ns2.your-domain.tld)

your-domain.tld

Im confused between : vpsxxxx.ovh.net and my other domain wed****ing.com ?

i thinks on Global dns setting of the server so i must tell my registrar to register for me :

ns1.vpsxxxxx.ovh.net & ns2.vpsxxxxx.ovh.net ?

or
ns1.wed****ing.com & ns2.wed****ing.com ? << Hosted with host1plus

in my dns setting i have this:

<domain>. NS sdns2.ovh.net. <<< sdns2 is the secondary dns provided buy ovh
<domain>. NS vpsxxxxx.ovh.net.

but NS it's not mean Nameserver ? so sdns2.ovh.net is a nameserver ?

To achieve this, login to your registrar’s control panel and look for the section that allows you to create “nameserver host records†or “nameserver glue records†or something similar to this. Trying to figure out where exactly you need to go in your registrar’s control panel is probably the most difficult part of the process. Contact your registrar’s support department if need be.

My vps is with OVH and i didin"t found this on any manager ovh provide:

https://www.ovh.com/manager/web/
or
https://www.ovh.com/managerv5/

So what i should ask my provider ovh ?

create and register two namserver for:

ns1 & ns2 for vpsxxxx.ovh.net ?

because my domain is with host1plus and they provide me with the possibility to create nameserver for my domain.

2) With your nameservers created, you now need to edit the DNS settings in Plesk for your-domain.tld. Specifically:

Please take a look at what i have in my Server dns template and tell what ns and records should be deleted.

View attachment 7639
/QUOTE]

3) Edit the DNS Template in Plesk (Tools & Settings > DNS Template) to add ns1.your-domain.tld and ns2.your-domain.tld to all domains you create from now on. To do this:

thank's for your reply

another thing:

Can i make wed***ing.com as the main VPS domain.
And the name servers for my VPS will be like this:
ns1.wedo***ing.com
ns2.wedo***ing.com

?

another thing:

Can i make wed***ing.com as the main VPS domain.
And the name servers for my VPS will be like this:
ns1.wedo***ing.com
ns2.wedo***ing.com

?

Yes. That's basically what you would normally do. You would not use your VPS control panel. You would use the control panel for the domain itself (provided by whoever you pay for the domain, even if it is also OVH) to do Step 1. This step is all about your main domain. You would not usually use anything with ovh.com as your nameserverver addresses - they do not belong to you (but see later for an exception or two).

For example, it would be not good to set domain-you-want-to-host.com to use vpsabc1.ovh.com and vpsabc2.ovh.com as nameservers for domain-you-want-to-host.com *even though it would work*.

You need to think in terms of how DNS lookups work. Think about it like this:

a) User wants to view www.domain.tld
b) To do this, computer needs to know IP address of www.domain.tld
c)And to do this, computer first finds out what nameservers know the IP address of www.domain.tld (nameserver for domain = server that knows IP of domain, so if you know the nameserver(s) you know where to ask)
d) The answer to the question of which nameservers know the IP for domain.tld is defined by which nameservers domain.tld is configured to use (which is set via the control panel for the domain provided by the domain name Registrar).

A nameserver is just a human readable address. It is not magic or special. So if VPSabc.ovh.com points to the IP address of your VPS, and VPSxyz.ovh.com also point to the IP address of your VPS, you *could* set your domain to use those addresses as nameservers (via the domain's control panel at the registrar for the domain).

Normally you would not do this, however, because you would usually not want an ovh address to come into the equation. It is not considered "professional" - you do not really want a customer to know that OVH is involved in anyway.

And this is why you normally "create" your own nameservers, so you can tell the customer to use ns1 and ns2.your-main-domain.com - it hides OVH completely from the customer.

Now, going back to how the DNS lookup works, but this time using your own nameservers:
a) User wants to view www.domain.tld
b) To do this, computer needs to know IP address of www.domain.tld
c)And to do this, computer first finds out what nameservers know the IP address of www.domain.tld (nameserver for domain = server that knows IP of domain, so if you know the nameserver(s) you know where to ask)
d) The answer to the question of which nameservers know the IP for domain.tld is defined by which nameservers domain.tld is configured to use (which is set via the control panel for the domain provided by the domain name Registrar).
e) The answer comes back as "ns1.your-main-domain.tld" and "ns2.your-main-domain.tld"
f) OK, so what is the IP address of your-main-domain.tld?
g) Ask the nameserver for your-main-domain.tld
h) What is the nameserver for your-main-domain.tld?
i) Answer: ns1.your-main-domain.tld and ns2.your-main-domain.tld
j) What is the IP address of ns1.your-main-domain.tld and ns2.your-main-domain.tld
k) Ask the nameserver for your-main.domain.tld
(i.e. we are back at (g) and we go round and round in circles never getting an answer)

This is where Step 1 in my instructions comes in. In Step 1, you are creating "glue" which allows you to get out of the circle. The Glue records provide an IP address for ns1.your-main-domain.tld and ns2.your-main-domain.tld which allows for an IP address to be obtained in (j). And with this IP address, your vps server will be asked all the rest of the questions and will give the answers from the records Plesk has put in the DNS.

ns = nameserver. But when you see "ns" in a DNS record, it means it is a definition of which server should provide the answers to DNS questions on the domain. It is a required record type. You may think that you have already said which server provides DNS answers because you have associated two nameservers with the domain at the registrar (Step 4 in my document). Nevertheless, these records are necessary. Similarly, you must configure A records in the DNS in Plesk for your-main.domain.tld that point ns1.your-main-domain.tld and ns2.your-main-domain.tld to the IP addresses of your Plesk server even though in Step 1 you did something similar.

You mention "sdns2.ovh.net. <<< sdns2 is the secondary dns provided buy ovh".
I don't know anything about the services that might be provided by OVH, so I really can't comment on this. If they provide a Secondary DNS service then that's good BUT Secondary DNS is not magic. A Secondary DNS server must:
1) be told which domain(s) it is to be Secondary DNS for
and
2) be able (be authorised) to obtain the records for the domains(s) from the Primary DNS (e.g. from your Plesk server)

When you make a change to a DNS record in Plesk, it will send a notification that a change has been made to each nameserver it has been told about. It is told about nameservers via the "ns" records you added to each domain. (of course it won't notify itself).

So if you use ns1.your-main-domain.tld and sns2.ovh.net as nameservers (i.e. In Plesk you configure each domain to have two "ns" records, ns1.your-main-domain.tld and sns2.ovh.net AND you set these as namservers for the domain via the domain's control panel at the domain's registrar) then Plesk's DNS server will notify sns2.ovh.net that a change has been made every time you make a change in the DNS records.
And IF and only if sns2.ovh.net has been configured to be a secondary DNS server for each domain it is notified about, then it will ask your PLesk server for the DNS records required. It will also ask for the records itself, from time to time, depending on one of the "SOA" records which is basically an expiry time setting).

Wow, I've probably confused you a lot here! I'm very sorry. DNS is very simple once you get a grip on it, but very complex and mysterious until then! I get very confused myself sometimes. Just when I think I know everything about it very clearly, I suddenly find that I don't understand something or have misunderstood something and don't actually know at all!!!!

Thank you Raouf i didi all what you said. and realy i was wonfused but you was a master :) i have learned something here thank's to you.

1 - host1plus is the registrar of my domain name so there i was enabel to create 2 namserver pointing to my vps server ip.
2- i created 2 a and ns record according to what you say:

ns1.wed******.com. A 176.31.xxx.x
ns2.wed******.com. A 176.31.xxx.x

wed******.com. NS ns1.wed******.com.
wed******.com. NS ns2.wed******.com.

and i deleted the 2 other NS record a found

wed******.com. NS vpsxxxx.ovh.net.
wed******.com. NS sdns2.ovh.net.

And i deleted the PTR record the only one i found is:

176.31.xxx.x/24 NS wed******.com.

Hope until know i did well.

than in host1plus my registrar i puted ns1.wed******.com & ns2.wed******.com as my namserver for my domain.

i think im ok right i have just to wait for Dns propagation or something else ?

oups another thing:

in my vps ovh control panel i added this line when i was trying to figure out these things :

Domaine Ip Creation Date Secondary DNS
wedoxxxxxx.com 176.31.xxx.x 06/12/13 sdns2.ovh.net

What confuse me right now is i dont need anymore a primary DNS and secondary dns ? my new Namserver just created will act like my DNS ? ns1.wed******.com & ns2.wed******.com

Should i delete this line ( i think so but just in case im asking )

EDIT: as you said i deleted the PTR record is this for rDns ? because like that i have no rDns i think.

i received this warning when performing check using mxtoolbox:

mail.wedo*****.com SMTP Reverse DNS Mismatch Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner.

:(

I contacted my domain name registrar Host1plus they told me this:

You need to change the rDNS records for IP 176.31.xxx.x to mail.wedo*****.com

So i have to add again the PTR record ? for the reverse in my domain name DNS setting in plesk ?

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm a little confused about what's happening. Maybe if I explain about PTRs and rDNS it will help?

The rDNS setting for an IP (i.e. translation from IP to human readable, like 111.222.333.444 -> somehost.ovh.net) is not set in Plesk and is usually not even adjustable by you.

This setting is actually controlled by the provider of the IP address (ovh). Some providers do allow you to change the rDNS via a setting in the provider's server/vps control panel (i.e. not Plesk). The company we use allows us to do this, for example.

So what's the PTR thing in Plesk for? Well, when your server/vps does an rDNS lookup, it will use its own DNS records before looking "outside" under certain circumstances and will get the results from PTR records set in Plesk's DNS. If all domains on a shared IP address have PTR records, the server will randomly choose one of the results. This can lead to email headers (if you examine them) in an email sent to domain1.tld having the name of some-other-domain.tld in them. This is why you should only ever have one PTR per IP, and ideally that should be in your main domain, so the headers show "my hosting company.tld" instead of "one of my customers.tld" if you see what I mean? Note that you can avoid needing PTR records completely by making sure your server always looks "outside" when doing lookups, but that's a discussion for another day.

Now, here's the problem:
Your rDNS is set by OVH to vpsxxx.ovh.net or something. But when a mailserver connects to your server, it says "hello, I'm domain.tld".
The error you are seeing when you do the test is basically saying that the rDNS and the address seen when connecting to the mail server are different.

My suggestion would be to ask OVH to change the rDNS of your first IP to domain.tld (you main domain) if they allow this. This is sensible in general anyway, so that when your server sends a message out, the headers in the sent email will have your main domain in them and no trace of OVH.

BUT, unfortunately, doing this won't necessarily resolve the error in the test if the SMTP banner is saying mail.domain.tld instead of the expected domain.tld (I don't quite understand why this would be happening).

I don't think this is of paramount importance, however. I do not know of any mailservers that would reject an email based on the rDNS not matching the SMTP banner. That would seem to be overkill to me. That is not to say such servers don't exist. But it is very common for rDNS not to match SMTP banner. Maybe someone else would like to come in on this and give us their opinion?

Unfortunately I'm a little confused about what's happening. Maybe if I explain about PTRs and rDNS it will help?

The rDNS setting for an IP (i.e. translation from IP to human readable, like 111.222.333.444 -> somehost.ovh.net) is not set in Plesk and is usually not even adjustable by you.

This setting is actually controlled by the provider of the IP address (ovh). Some providers do allow you to change the rDNS via a setting in the provider's server/vps control panel (i.e. not Plesk). The company we use allows us to do this, for example.

So what's the PTR thing in Plesk for? Well, when your server/vps does an rDNS lookup, it will use its own DNS records before looking "outside" under certain circumstances and will get the results from PTR records set in Plesk's DNS. If all domains on a shared IP address have PTR records, the server will randomly choose one of the results. This can lead to email headers (if you examine them) in an email sent to domain1.tld having the name of some-other-domain.tld in them. This is why you should only ever have one PTR per IP, and ideally that should be in your main domain, so the headers show "my hosting company.tld" instead of "one of my customers.tld" if you see what I mean? Note that you can avoid needing PTR records completely by making sure your server always looks "outside" when doing lookups, but that's a discussion for another day.

Now, here's the problem:
Your rDNS is set by OVH to vpsxxx.ovh.net or something. But when a mailserver connects to your server, it says "hello, I'm domain.tld".
The error you are seeing when you do the test is basically saying that the rDNS and the address seen when connecting to the mail server are different.

My suggestion would be to ask OVH to change the rDNS of your first IP to domain.tld (you main domain) if they allow this. This is sensible in general anyway, so that when your server sends a message out, the headers in the sent email will have your main domain in them and no trace of OVH.

BUT, unfortunately, doing this won't necessarily resolve the error in the test if the SMTP banner is saying mail.domain.tld instead of the expected domain.tld (I don't quite understand why this would be happening).

I don't think this is of paramount importance, however. I do not know of any mailservers that would reject an email based on the rDNS not matching the SMTP banner. That would seem to be overkill to me. That is not to say such servers don't exist. But it is very common for rDNS not to match SMTP banner. Maybe someone else would like to come in on this and give us their opinion?

Dear Faris,

not matching rDNS to mail server will be mostly blocked as spam. So it is important to get in touch with it.

Back