• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12.0.18 + Munin 2.x on Ubuntu 14.04 (libapache2-mod-fcgid problem)

Christian_Klemm

New Pleskian
Hello,
i want to use Munin and Plesk on the same machine, but there is a little problem...
to use a feature of Munin (DynZoom) i need to install "libapache2-mod-fcgid" and there is the problem:
Plesk is using "libapache2-mod-fcgid-psa", when i try to install libapache2-mod-fcgid i get the message that the following packages will be removed:
  • libapache2-mod-fcgid-psa
  • plesk-roundcube
  • psa-horde
  • psa-imp
  • psa-ingo
  • psa-kronolith
  • psa-mnemo
  • psa-passwd
  • psa-turba

is there any chance to use the Munin Dyna-Zoom feature with the Plesk package (libapache2-mod-fcgid-psa)?

You might have read a tutorial, that suggest to install "libapache2-mod-fcgid" and when you followed the tutorial, you recognized, that the suggestion conflicts with the already installed psa-version. I would suggest to continue with your tutorial, because you already HAVE all required modules installed to use munin.

If you experience issues/problems while using munin, please add error - messages and depending log - entries, so that we might suggest work-arounds or solutions.

On a blank ubuntu server i can use all munin features by installing apache2, munin, libapache2-mod-fcgid and there depending packages.
But on a blank ubuntu server with plesk (one-click-installer) an munin (and there depending packages) the dyamic zoom i munin dont work, (error 500) in the apache or munin logs are no errors.. so it's hard to post some error logs...

Edit: i got one :D

Code:
[Wed Nov 05 08:44:51.359133 2014] [fcgid:warn] [pid 8123] (104)Connection reset by peer: [client 85.214.238.184:54238] mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server
[Wed Nov 05 08:44:51.359268 2014] [core:error] [pid 8123] [client 85.214.238.184:54238] End of script output before headers: munin-cgi-graph
[Wed Nov 05 08:44:51.369239 2014] [fcgid:warn] [pid 8120] (104)Connection reset by peer: [client 85.214.238.184:54239] mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server, referer: http://munin.chris
tian-klemm.de/static/dynazoom.html?cgiurl_graph=/munin-cgi/munin-cgi-graph&plugin_name=localdomain/localhost.localdomain/apache_accesses&size_x=800&size_y=400&start_epoch=1415064612&stop_epoch=1415
[Wed Nov 05 08:44:51.369315 2014] [core:error] [pid 8120] [client 85.214.238.184:54239] End of script output before headers: munin-cgi-graph, referer: http://munin.christian-klemm.de/static/dynazoo
m.html?cgiurl_graph=/munin-cgi/munin-cgi-graph&plugin_name=localdomain/localhost.localdomain/apache_accesses&size_x=800&size_y=400&start_epoch=1415064612&stop_epoch=1415172612

Last edited:
Did you chmod the folders with the right permissions and users/groups? ( mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server )

Is munin a member of www-data, nginx and psacln and did you try to chmod to 777 for testing ?

I would recommend using the debug log - mode, in order to get MORE informations about the issue. As well switching to use the Apache module cgi in your domain - webserver settings, might help you get MORE outputs of that issue/problem/failure. The error message is very common and can be almost everything from permission failures to timing errors, script errors... and even restrictions can be the cause ( open_base directions not, or not properly defined for the subdomain?!? - include / redirected paths wrong or missing? ). Choose other error-reporting levels for apache2 and/or nginx and change as well the display options for it, to get MORE informations, because guessing will take a long, long time, I'm afraid. Investigate all potential logs and you may as well try to modify the scripts itself, in order to get more outputs in case of issues/failures by adding some code in the scripts ( depending on which script language is used ).

As well, please inform about the used operating system ( Ubuntu XX.XX ?!? ), webserver versions, modules and anything about your configuration and settings which might help to investigate the issue. The libapache2-mod-fcgid from Plesk is definetly NOT the issue, because I have installed several servers with Plesk AND Munin running together. :)

server: ubuntu 14.04 64 bit
apache: apache2 2.4.7-1ubuntu4.1
modul fcgid:libapache2-mod-fcgid-psa 2.3.9-14060319
munin: munin 2.0.19-3
munin config: default
munin apache config: default - only changed "Order allow,deny" "Allow..." to "Required all granted" (for apache 2.4)
munin folder: /var/cache/munin/www - chowned by munin and chmoded 777 for testing
plesk: 12.0.18

Could you please post your apache - configuration ( "last_httpd.conf" or "last_ip_default.conf", additional vhost - configurations from "vhost.conf" and "vhost_ssl.conf" for the domain/subdomain you are using? ( "/var/www/vhosts/system/YOURDOMAIN_OR_SUBDOMAIN.COM/conf" ). And IF you use nginx as well, please include the nginx related configurations as well and XXX domains and IPs, please!

Hi Christian_Klemm,

first of all, which has got nothing to do with Munin and Co., you should secure your server against the "POODLE SSLv3 vulnerability". Please visit the KB - article "[Plesk] CVE-2014-3566: POODLE attack exploiting SSL 3.0 fallback" ( KB - article 123 160 ) for further informations and suggestions, and read as well the Forum - Thread: SSL POODLE / SSLv3 bug

You have the option with Plesk, to add additional apache2 - "httpd.conf" modifications in your "vhosts.conf" ( for SSL = "vhost_ssl.conf" ). You can either reach such settings by editing the TEXT-Box in your domain/subdomain - webserver - settings over the Plesk Control Panel, or you edit this manually at "/var/www/vhosts/system/DOMAIN_OR_SUBDOMAIN.COM/conf". If these additional configurations files don't exist at the moment you would like to edit them, it's because they might not have been generated by Plesk automatically ( that's why it is a good idea to modify these additional configurations over the Plesk Control Panel, in order to let Plesk create these files ). You certainly may create them yourself, with the commands: "touch /var/www/vhosts/system/DOMAIN_OR_SUBDOMAIN.COM/conf/vhost.conf" and ".... /vhost_ssl.conf".

Be sure that you copied ALL necessary files from the munin/www folder to your Subdomain:

sudo mv /var/cache/munin/www/ /var/www/vhosts/christian-klemm.de/munin.christian-klemm.de

Don't forget to activate "mod_rewrite" as well with "a2enmod rewrite"

The example configuration is provided from: http://munin.readthedocs.org/en/lat...he-virtualhost.html#virtualhost-configuration
The suggested additional example for Munin should be put in the additional two files "vhost.conf" and "vhost_ssl.conf"
Code:
Alias /munin /var/www/vhosts/christian-klemm.de/munin.christian-klemm.de

ErrorLog /var/www/vhosts/system/munin.christian-klemm.de/logs/munin-error.log
CustomLog /var/www/vhosts/system/munin.christian-klemm.de/logs/munin-access.log combined

# Rewrites
RewriteEngine On

# Static content in /static
RewriteRule ^/favicon.ico /etc/munin/static/favicon.ico [L]
RewriteRule ^/static/(.*) /etc/munin/static/$1 [L]

# HTML
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} .html$ [or]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} =/
RewriteRule ^/(.*) /usr/lib/munin/cgi/munin-cgi-html/$1 [L]

# Images
RewriteRule ^/(.*) /usr/lib/munin/cgi/munin-cgi-graph/$1 [L]

# Ensure we can run (fast)cgi scripts
<Directory "/usr/lib/munin/cgi">
Options +ExecCGI
<IfModule mod_fcgid.c>
SetHandler fcgid-script
</IfModule>
<IfModule !mod_fcgid.c>
SetHandler cgi-script
</IfModule>
</Directory>
Before this additional configuration will be accepted, apache2 does check, if your additional configuration is valid and if yes, it will reload/restart the webserver.

Be sure that IF you would like to use NGINX as well, you have to add a modification for this additional example in the "vhost_nginx.conf" file, as well located at "/var/www/vhosts/system/DOMAIN_OR_SUBDOMAIN.COM/conf" - and example can be found at: http://munin.readthedocs.org/en/latest/example/webserver/nginx.html

If you experience problems/issues, please have a look at the domain/subdomain - log - files, located at "/var/www/vhosts/system/DOMAIN_OR_SUBDOMAIN.COM/logs"

Munin.org has well a wiki, where you find a lot of informations, suggestions and solutions: http://munin-monitoring.org/wiki/

thanks for your effort, i followed your commands but i can't get i running..
the error message is always the same: End of script output before headers: munin-cgi-graph, referer:.../munin/static/dynazoom.html?cgiurl_graph=/munin-cgi/munin-cgi-graph&plugin_name=....

you said you are running several server with plesk and munin, which plesk/munin version are you using and which os?

after some more testings, i thing i found the bad part in this "game"... it is apache 2.4 which is installed by ubuntu 14.04/plesk auto-installer
with apache 2.2 it works fine.... how can i downgrade from apache 2.4 to apache 2.2? withour the lost of all the apache configurations from plesk?

Depending on your operating system, you might want to add an older repository ( or an additional one ), where the apache 2.2 is used. Afterwards, you might use:

apt-cache showpkg apache2
apt-get install apache2=2.2.XX-XubuntuX.X

... the installation must contain the full package name in order to update/upgrade or downgrade the current apache2 version to the desired one.

Back