• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 7.5.3 on FreeBSD - Updating

J

jshanley

1) Update your ports tree.
2) install Perl 5.8.6 (required for Plesk 7.5.3):
PHP:
cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8 && make && make deinstall && make install
3) Install needed Perl modules.

PHP:
# cpan
<run through cpan configuration>

Here's a list that I use; some are used by SpamAssassin, some are used by others.
Note: Text::Iconv is a -new- requirement for Plesk when using Perl 5.8.6
PHP:
Terminal does not support AddHistory.

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.7601)
ReadLine support available (try 'install Bundle::CPAN')

cpan> install Getopt::Long File::Copy Digest::Nilsimsa URI::Escape \
 Net::Ping Digest::MD5 Digest::SHA1 Digest::HMAC HTML::Parser \
HTML::Tagset IO::Stringy MIME::Base64 Mail::Internet MIME::Entity Net::DNS \
Time::HiRes Mail::Audit Mail::POP3Client Cwd File::Spec DB_File Mail::Audit \
Term::ANSIColor Pod::Man Digest::BubbleBabble \
ExtUtils::MakeMaker Pod::Usage Net::SMTP Net::Ident Text::Iconv

4) Backup your Plesk installation.

5) Download Plesk 7.5.3 and install it FROM THE COMMANDLINE (not through the web interface).

6) Download and re-install the ioncube loaders IF you
use any 3rd party products that require it (like the 4PSA products); the Plesk upgrade will remove the zend_encoder = <blah> line that used to be there..

7) check to see if syslogd is still running; when I upgraded, plesk had killed it - so SpamAssassin wouldn't actually start. If it's not running, restart it. Both times I did the upgrade on FreeBSD 5.3, it did NOT restart syslogd. You can tell because during the last part of the install, you'll see something like this:

Plesk: Apache server has been started
Plesk: Qmail has been started
psa: Courier-IMAP server has been started
Plesk: pgsql has been started

unix dgram connect: No such file or directory at /usr/local/psa/spamassassin/bin/spamd line 310
unix dgram connect: No such file or directory at /usr/local/psa/spamassassin/bin/spamd line 310
Plesk: SpamAssassin has been started

In reality, spamassassin was not started, because it couldn't open the logfile, because syslogd was not running.

Restart syslogd with:

# /usr/sbin/syslogd -ss

.. and then restart plesk

# /usr/local/psa/rc.d/psa restart

8) If necessary, restart the machine.

If you find any problems/bugs with the Plesk 7.5.3 update, It'd be good to post them here to make it easy to find.

Interesting note: Plesk is using PHP 4.3.10 for the admin interface, and 4.3.11 for the standard webserver. Not sure why, but anyway..

www# /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/php -v
PHP 4.3.10 (cli) (built: May 9 2005 15:08:23)

www# /usr/local/psa/apache/bin/php -v
PHP 4.3.11 (cli) (built: May 9 2005 15:26:49)

-J

BUG: Upgrading to v7.5.3 causes "webmail.domainname.com" to stop working.

They forgot to add the vhost information to httpd.include, and I'm not 100% sure what the proper syntax is for the new version & location of Horde. So after upgrading, webmail.domainname.com will go to your "Plesk Default" page instead.

Horde has been moved to /usr/local/psa/psa-horde instead of the old /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/webmail/horde ... I guess they decided to physically move the location at the same time they updated horde versions during the upgrade.

ARGH. So, webmail doesn' t work.

FIX: Run

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/websrvmng -a -v
/usr/local/psa/rc.d/httpd stop && sleep 2 && /usr/local/psa/rc.d/httpd start

... to update the config files. The upgrade does not run this itself.

BUG: your "local.cf" file for SpamAssassin will be erased when upgrading. Make sure you back it up (/usr/local/psa/spamassassin/share/spamassassin/local.cf) if you've customized it at all, as Plesk doesn't back it up during the upgrade.. it just erases it. Nice.

Hello,

I have now Plesk 7.5.2 with 30 domain installed by a dedicated server company.

I have 2 questions:
1. Plesk documentation writes that I need a new license key after the upgrade process. How can I get this key?
2. Why should I not to use the web interface?

Thanks!

You dont need a new license key if you are upgrading from 7.5.x to 7.5.3. If you are upgrading from 7.0 you will need a new key.

Don't use the web interface, because it just doesn't work right half the time. Why cause problems for yourself if you don't have to? :)

Top thread people.

This will definately be very helpful for everyone upgrading.

Im still on 7.1.7 as im reluctant to upgrade due to the overall issues regarding 7.5.x

This should hopefully change my mind :D

Some information:

I just finished the upgrade from 7.5.2. to 7.5.3 without any big problem. The webmail works fine too. And there was really no need to install a new license key.
I tried the upgrade with the webinterface first. (I read the posts but I was wondering what can be the problem). It doesn't work for me too. (It seems that my /tmp is too small.)

Anyhow in the log files I found that my kernel doesn't support quotas. Is it worth to rebuild the kernel with quotas and make the upgrade again?

Given the number of problems that I have read about in the forums regarding 7.5.3 I am not going to update my 7.5.2 (running on FreeBSD 5.3) to the new version just yet.

It worries me that there is not more testing invovled in production of these releases. I hate the fact that I feel I am rolling the dice everytime I upgrade.

Do we have a complied list of major issues that BSD (and otherwise) have had with this latest upgrade?

Failed domain creation after upgrading to plesk 7.5.3

Today I upgraded plesk to version 7.5.3 on FreeBSD 5.3 true the webinterface.

Now i get this JavaScript error when i try to add a new domain to a client:

Failed domain creation: Unable to update domain data: Failed mail post-configuration: Can't create mail domain servie: mailManager->addDomain() failed: mailmng failed: Empty error message from utility

This matter is very urgent for me to resolve !!!

Thanx for any help

argh!

./psa_v7.5.3_build75050509.14_os_FreeBSD_4.9_i386.sh

This installer does not support FreeBSD-4.11.

In previous versions of Plesk this was no issue at all, the 4.9 upgrades worked fine on FreeBSD 4.11!

See here... ProServe came up with the workaround, but I will repost it here so we can have as many of these FreeBSD tips and fixes in one thread as possible.

To get Plesk 7.5.3 to install on FreeBSD 4.11:

make a file named uname in /sbin with the following information
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in

"-v")
echo "FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE #0: Tue May 10 15:45:13 CEST 2005 [email protected]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/servername"
;;
"-a")
echo "FreeBSD servername 4.10-STABLE FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #0: Tue May 10 15:45:13 CEST 2005 [email protected]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SERVERNAAM i386"
;;
"-s")
echo "FreeBSD"
;;
esac

Don't forget to remove /sbin/uname after the installation.

Here's a few more perl modules you might want to include that aren't listed above. These are necessary for some of the backup/restore (lord knows what else) utilties.

DBD::mysq XML::DOM XML::XQL and XML::parser. DBI as well.

Also, after updating ports, you might wanna do a cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql41-client; make && make install. This will get the mysql client and all of its libraries necessary for the DBD::mysql build on there. You might have to change over to the actual build directory and do a 'make install' on the module itself though for it to finish properly.

Also, PLEASE STOP ALL OF YOUR PLESK SERVICES BEFORE CUTTING OVER TO THE NEW PERL. KTHX. do this by doing a /usr/local/psa/rc.d/psa stop , then cut to the new perl with 'use.perl ports' then restart PSA.

Has anyone else contacted Plesk about the rash of issues with 7.5.3 as of yet? I still see a lot of people posting with major problems but am wondering if there has been any offical responses from Pleslk themselves?

I'm as of yet still holding on on updating to 7.5.3 due to the possibility of to many problems.

I tried, but got a canned response about my service contract being expired. heh.

What I dont understand is why they dont have some type of bug tracking database where (registered/authenticated) users could submit bugs. It blows my mind... really.

Back